Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was looking for something with a manual transmission for my brother and found this ad. I was wondering if this is a pretty good deal? I haven't gone to look at it yet but I will probably be doing that tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

"2001 Subaru outback wagon 5speed manual all options Power windows power locks leather heated seats sunroof alloy wheels CD and cassette player all-wheel-drive 4 new tires Virginia emissions and inspection Great on gas runs and looks great"

• Like 1

If it's running well, thats a pretty good deal. Check for head gasket leaks as that was about the only weak spot on this platform. Otherwise, if it runs, drives, shifts and stops nicely you've got a good deal on a reliable car. My wife drives a 2000 outback. We drove it 6 hours down to L.A. to visit family this weekend. It turned 336,000 miles on the trip and will be closer to 337 by the time we get home. They are great cars.

I also found another car I'm interested in. Its a '96 5 speed manual with 190k miles for $1400. Aren't these extremely reliable? Condition inside and out is relatively good. Any input on this?

A 96, 5 speed is likely to have the 2.2 motor, which is desirable over the 2.5 motor. If so, then good, as the 2.2 is most reliable. Ask owner, or check under the hood to see if it is a 2.2 motor. If reasonably maintained, the motor is good for 300k+ miles before rebuild. Ask when last time the timing belt was replaced, hopefully see written proof by bill receipt that the T/B was replaced.  The 96 has an "interference" head design, so if T/B breaks, there will be damage to the heads & valves.

$1400 seems a reasonable price, depending on over all condition.

Edited by Rooster2