Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Decipher my heat

Getting around to this heater situation again, after running new ground to the relay, and was unable to get to the resistor yet due to a rusty screw in the housing, I can live with only fan position 3&4. 

I am trying to figure out why my buttons are all mixed up.

The Defrost seems okay. 

When I press Heat, I get the front BiLevel blowing, but not very warm.

When I press BiLevel, the heat comes out on my feet.

A/C, max gives good heat out front, So does Off position -seems like that used to kill the fan, but not anymore. Maybe something to do with the resistor?

Also, when it is in A/C it seems like cold air is coming in thru the defroster vents somehow.

I started to take the dash apart, It didn't look molested, and I was going to switch the hoses around, but decided to do more research. The cable controlling the temp appears to be doing it's thing. There is a little hose 'manifold' down by the heater box, only has 2 connections made.

Can someone help me make sense of this?

(85 GL wagon)

Not sure if it's the same system in my '89 DL wagon, but I wonder if one of the vacuum motors that opens and closes the baffles inside the HVAC system has failed, or one of the hoses is bad. I'm in the middle of a complete HVAC rebuild due to a mouse infestation. I've replaced all the weather stripping between the components, and the insulation on the baffles, and replaced the blower motor. 

John

if you have the EA82 style wagon then the buttons that change the heater position are vacuum controlled.  might start checking the vacuum supply from the motor, and definitely check out and at least plug any open ones you find in the dash.

generally a vacuum problem will cause all the heat to come out of the front dash vents, but who knows.

The vacuum tubes can come loose at the junctions.  One black rubber junction connector is just to the right and slightly above the gas pedal.  Most likely, somebody before you simply did not plug the correct vacuum tube into the correct connector, at the controls behind the dash buttons.  The fan switch can easily be found at a auto wrecking yard.  I would not recommend tinkering with that wiring.

Scoobie is on to something there. Sounds like the hoses nay not be connected right! For fan issues. I have the same only operating on 3&4 the only thing I know is the resistor that makes sense! I dont have old junk yards so I'll have to buy new but online they are only about $30! Once that is replaced ou should get all 4! :)