Ultimate Subaru Message Board

super charging ea-81

I would say that the best EA81 blower set up would be with EFI - either a set of turbo heads running the turbo wiring or even the EA82 MPFI wiring.  Or go with the SPFI setup.  You would need to watch the richness of the mixture in the exhaust gases for a while to make sure it wasn't leaning out when on boost.

Tweety (on here and ausubaru.com) did a draw through setup with a side draft weber I think they were - datsun units I believe.  

A draw through unit will eventually eat the teflon coating from the supercharger fins/blades/whatever you want to call them - some say this is not an issue, but who knows...

Tweety did have issues with his fuel economy - too high for his liking plus the block started having blow by issues as you could imagine.  Shoving a blower on a well used engine that's been built for NA will show up all sorts of blow by issues.  Ultimately you need to build up an engine specifically for boost.  I'm pretty sure he loved the power the supercharger provided though.

Now he's managed to source a SPFI unit in Oz and is running that - after a lot of fine tuning and troubleshooting he's finally seeing the smooth running and simple start that he's been chasing.

There was one in QLD that I've seen on facebook as well - I think that one's been parted out, but it showed a good setup that fitted under the bonnet...

Cheers

Bennie