Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Excessive engine noise after timing belt job...

So Ned blew a timing belt on the highway the other day... drivers side... not like this isn't the 4th or 5th timing belt I've put on him (running coverless so I expect it) but this time I didnt have a spare. I called the local parts monkey and after arguing with him that the belt off any EA82 years 85-94 would fit I finally got a "Duralast" belt which I figured would get it home and I could get a better spare. However when I showed up it was a gatorback belt which Ive heard good things about... did the install on the side of the road... started it... idled at MAYBE 200RPMS. So I adjusted a tooth and bam got my 850-900rpm idle.

However I swear the motor has a "whirring" sound to it now... like the timing belt is making noise as it runs its course... and its a lot louder than it was before...

Question.... why? And should I be worried?

Tru 'dat.    Timing belts should last a minimum of 60,000 miles.   If you are on your 4th or 5th belt, Then there is something wrong with either your tensioners or cogged idler or pulley alignment.

I have an ea82 wagon with 120,000 miles (12 years) on the timing belts and still going.   Sometimes... I like to 'test' the reliability of replacement parts.  And, I'm coverless.  

The manual on my Chevy Duramax states that I should replace the fuel filter every 20000 miles.    Well... the last filter made it 85,000 miles before replacement.     Oh... still have the original serpantine belt at 120,000 miles.  Book said to replace that at 60k.  Don't worry, boys... the new belt is in the back seat, ready to replace when it breaks.

I should write a book, huh?

• Like 1

sometimes new belts can sound a bit tight and give a whirring sound. hear it at times in traffic. It is always a good insurance policy to replace all the tensioners and idler and know the correct tight torque for those tensioner bolts is quite low to avoid stripping or breakage

Sounds good guys! I didnt replace any tensioners this time around, timing belt was done at 160k with everything new including the water pump and tensioners... so it would suck if those were bad already :/

New motor goes into the hottank tomorrow so I can start assembly... then its factory specs for torquing on the "new" engine.... so hopefully no issues after that.

• Like 1