Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member, pics and a couple questions:)

Hey guys and gals, just bought me an 87 gl from my brother:) story behind the car is it was a 1 owner car and had a rear end collision, insurance totaled the car out and it sat for way too long somewhere. Car went to auction and my brothers buddy owned a used car lot and picked it up for 600 bucks. My brother then let his sons girlfriend drive it for a while and then it came back to him leaking like a madman from every seal possible.

He then took it to my mechanic and had him fix most of the leaks, dropped the tranny due to a massive leak pouring over the cat. Got it back and sold it to me for what he had in it which was 1500.

Runs and drives great, still need to check the timing belt and fix minor leaks at the valve covers.

The car is an automatic with 64k original:)

Dealing with the typical check engine light right now and just fixing things that have been neglected.

So far I have put a new cat on, new muffler, O2, typical tune up, fixed the passenger door lock, cleaned it up, fixed heater(at some point someone used the evil stop leak crap that should be illegal to sell), some other stuff I'm sure but it's running great with still a couple things to figure out.

Anyway here are some pics:)

453767ba74dfaba35178721476199fb6.jpg

70b2d949f98831730184f492f057b2b1.jpg

fbee314884df2b9e05bd0284c1c9d07c.jpg

a63f1de1ad6f8053409a5d75ead2ff72.jpg
Interior is amazing!!!!

db9e4cbaa98c097bd32ca897665b699d.jpg

2bf6b85528e3fa47f40f4185bf73e6ca.jpg

And then you have this:( trying to get it pushed out a bit in the pic so I can at least get the used not smashed light to mount up.

83ba9a0e6f5e16c7c9a78b7b2e41cf20.jpg

10bab0f471f64df51f649eebae5f5a00.jpg

Another pic of the dreaded damage, not bad but to get it out its gonna take extensive work, just trying to get it somewhat ok for my OCD issues:)

So I was trying to think of the questions I have but I have been lurking and searching finding everything I need, thanks by the way:) but I guess I will use this thread as a question/kinda progress thread if that's cool I didn't see a build thread section unless I'm nuts and missed it.

Anyhoo great to be here and can't wait to meet some peeps and figure all my bugs out. Also might need a few parts once I compile my list of little things I am looking for.

Have good day:)

Pics fixed, and if a mod can move this to members rides or the meet and greet that would be sweet, thanks:)..

Edited by Discombobulated

Thanks man:) sometimes I question the miles but parts of the car just don't show more than the mileage like the interior, I think the leak was let go for way to long and coated the engine bay with transmission fluid and just let sit to collect dirt.. I just think the first owner didn't take care of it but now it's gonna be all happy:)

Such a shame it was wrecked but I guess if it wasn't it might have never came my way, I just think after it was wrecked it sat in an insurance lot for years explaining all the seals drying up and then driving it just caused lots of leaks..

Ahhhh finally got my tail light I ordered and got it in, looks way better:) we'll as good as it's going to look anyway.

Couple of questions, I have recently contracted the infamous no start click that I have read a lot about, but from what I'm reading seems push button start or a nice dedicated relay from the ignition circuit to the starter to take care of it BUT... I'm having a hard time with this being the solution as I have such low miles on it?? My brother said he had to replace the starter due to a nasty noise not the no start issue, but of course as we all know unless you want to give an arm and a leg he went with an aftermarket..

So back to the issue, get in go to start click click click, get out pop the hood have my daughter hold the ignition on and give the starter the slightest tap and bam starts. If the ignition was the problem is it safe to say that this wouldn't work and I just have a bad starter??

I mean if I need to run a relay that's fine but what do you guys think? I have all the symptoms of the ignition issue but wouldn't the tapping say it's the starter or is it that the tapping helps it kick in due to not enough juice to kick the starter??

If I do get a starter I would imagine any aftermarket will be about the same or is there a preferred type??

Also dealing with a couple codes but the one that is confusing me is a code 45 which I believe was a kick down relay? Anyone had experience with that specific code and fixed it?

Thanks in advance guys:)

Disco.

Well figured out why my starter took a junk on my face, when I was flushing out my heater core I guess I drenched the starter, when I got the old one out it was oozing brown rust paste out of the bottom of it, so I guess it just took a week or so to rust out causing my no start issue..

Oh well I guess I learned the hard way not to do that again:) So I have dodged the infamous ignition switch issue which is good.

Reset my timing and its running like a champ..