Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roller rockers and roller cam in big valve hydro ea81?

Possible? Yes!

Photos, as promised.ACComp.jpgBeginning, removing AC compressor and all that. Compressor seems to be in good shape, plan on keeping it.Rockers2.jpg%5DCrane,SurpriseRockers2.jpgCrane, SBC roller rockers. ValveCoverSpacer1.jpg%5DValveValve cover spacer, so rockers will fit.RockerMount1.jpg%5DCustomCustom rocker mount plate, sits behind spacer on top of headAnd here's where it got really interesting:Head1.jpg%5DTwoTwo welds, one of which is cracked. It appears they cut out the water jacket, welded a large amount of material around the exhasut port, ported it, and then welded the water jacket back on. Lots of work, seems like with a turbo that might not be as helpful as it would be with NA.Head4.jpg%5DMoreMore detailHead5.jpg%5DAnd,And, definately not stock valve springs. My dad seemed to think that they might be SBC as well. And knowing how Doc Seal seems to have a particular like of SBC parts in projects, I wouldn't doubt it.Head6.jpg%5DAndAnd more of the head. The intake has been ported as well. I'll try and get better photos of the in head porting next time, as these didn't show that well.Once the water jacket is welded up and everything is put back together, next step is the carb! Everything went very smoothly in the tear down, and most everything shows very minimal wear, leading me to believe this was a NOS engine they put these parts on, and then never really ran it.Also, looking for a drivers side mirror for QS, and a passenger side front turn signal lens if anybody has one laying around. There are a ton more bits it's missing, but going to start with these two!

Edited by BratRod

The cam would have to be ground and treated to accept roller lifters or the lifters will tear it up.  I'm sure Delta can do that. If you can find the correct diameter and height lifters.... Whammo! Bob's your uncle! lol Or find the right diameter and close height then pushrods to make the overall correct height. Rollers are great for freeing HP and reducing heat. :)