Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm trying to drain the coolant in a 2005 Outback Legacy, the owner's manual isn't specific.

1. How does the radiator drain?  I unscrewed one of the 2 lower nipples with a 19mm hex, nothing came out.  Is this normal?

2.  How to remove the plastic guards underneath the radiator corners?  There are some round plastic pins holding the guards in place.  Are these reusable 2-piece push pins like with interior panels, or do they break when you pop them out?

3.  How does the overflow bottle drain?  I didn't see a screw on the bottom.  Does it have to come out?  Does it come off the fan shroud or does the shroud have to come out?  Looks like a rubik's cube of plastic tabs lock the bottle to the shroud.  I removed the top screw but it didn't seem to do anything.  What am i missing?

thanks for any help

overflow WILL need to come out.

Look on the side, down low, of the radiator - probably right (US pass.) side.

take the rad cap off for more vigorous flow - or go ahead and tale the upper rad hose loose - best to fill the block directly thru it, then connect and fill the rad.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks that helped.  Phillips head plastic Drain screw on bottom pass side, looked weird but it worked.  Extracted overflow res with mitevac and flushed heater core.  Not really into subarus wife's new car i was trying to save the head gaskets.  '05 2.5 123k miles.  Smelled coolant in the exhaust on cold starts.  Studied up online, cleaned batt. terminals, changed coolant, added sub conditioner, head bolts tight, still smelled it, goes away when warm, everything else seems ok.  Oil on bottom of motor but no coolant under motor or in oil.  Extent of my abilities.  She took it to her shop, they said gaskets & water pump leaking.  P.O. had receipt in car for tb@ 100k but nothing else from another shop.  Wife's shop has fixed her subarus before has a subaru mechanic.  Quoted 500 for wp or 1100 for everything, she had everything done, wp/tb kit & hg's, still smells like coolant in exhaust when cold.  I wonder why but can't do any more with it, disabled, was wondering if anybody else has a coolant smell exhaust when cold in the newer 2.5 cars? 

thanks again

Edited by Joeh

most common coolant leaks for that gen of Soob is external weeping from headgasket. Ealier models did have some years that would leak internally - however - not out the exhaust. Coolant would get pushed into the overflow and bubbles of exhaust gasses move thru.

Not that any car couldn't have any type of failure. If a cylinder is burning coolant, that sparkplug will likely look different than the others. Also, i think burning coolant is bad for the oxygen sensor and the cat conv.

maybe a different mechanic? Post a new thread asking for a shop recomm. in your city. maybe someone will suggest a soob-experienced mechanic that can take a look.