Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket lights mod

also im having issues getting my low beams to work my highs work just fine just the lows wont turn on?

Sorry to highjack, but that sounds more like the headlight switch, rather than the lights themselves. The contacts get worn or dirty over time.

It is not the switch.. Go to Daniel Stern's site the wiring has to be changed around..  I had the same problem with my hatch a few years ago.  While on the subject on the same site you can get more info for making headlight relays.. I cannot emphasize this enough they are worth every minute and curse word you spend/ utter while putting it together.  I feel like it doubled the light output just by eliminating voltage drop.

Edited by Mykeys Toy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I figured it out when I was searching around the contacts with in the wire harness connection to the headlights was corroded and all that jazz. So i am going to keep using that connection till it stop working then splice that one wire on both sides and add its own connection of some sort.

To-skishop69

So a few people have done this mod to there lights? You would happen to know how they install or things along those lines I still need to buy those I'm just in sure how they connect to get the led "halo/ angel eye" to work other than my guess of 1) instal a switch to activate them or 2) splice the power lines to the markers and connect them with like a bullet connecter?

To-all

Any one have the skills or know how or know who to fix fabricate and full drivers front fender for the brat or know what other models have interchangeable body panels with an 83 brat and know a place that I could contact to ether get a used one or make it cause I need to fix mine it make the car look really bad with it all f***ed up.

I recommend using a relay and a switch but you can also tap them into your running light  or your blinkers (still through the relay)

Any panels from a gen 2 car with the same headlights will work the common years are 1980-1984 however there are some brats till 87 and hatches till 89.

Mike

It is not the switch.. Go to Daniel Stern's site the wiring has to be changed around..  I had the same problem with my hatch a few years ago.  While on the subject on the same site you can get more info for making headlight relays.. I cannot emphasize this enough they are worth every minute and curse word you spend/ utter while putting it together.  I feel like it doubled the light output just by eliminating voltage drop.

I'm glad that you found the problem, and I completely agree with the comments about adding relays. That makes a heck of a difference. DO IT :P

Sorry if you think this is a "flame": Mykeys Toy, but to definitively say "it is not (in this case) the switch" is a really bad thing to tell someone else over the internet (especially a forum). Unless you've got some inside knowledge (eg you guys know each other & have spoken off the forum), how could you tell from the limited description that the switch wasn't the problem? I couldn't.

It has been the problem on one of my previous cars, and so I suggested it be investigated. I didn't say it was the problem in this case, just could be.

A lot of newbies read & search here, because the info is so good & everyone is so willing to help. So making a definitive answer about something is a bit frought with providing misinformation. Don't rule out something just because something different happened to you.

Unfortunately, our cars are old and so exhibit a multitude of problems... :wacko:

No flames necessary I understand what your saying.. I was under the impression ( though I have never looked )  that there is a separate relay aside from the switch for the headlights.  That said the OP mentioned that they come on just not the way he would like and so I did assume that the switch is not the culprit in this situation.  Then  I thought that maybe running a relay as a trigger off the factory light plugs with larger wire to the lights from the relay which would minimize voltage drop for another 30 years.

Edited by Mykeys Toy
  • Like 1