Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacement of hitachi carb with weber 32/36 dgev

Pretty sure that's Loyal 2.7 Turbo.  http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/  He lives in Honduras and has written about the weber multiple times.   Use google with ultimatesubaru.org included in the search and you might have better luck finding posts relating to the weber.  The search function on the forum is lacking to say the least...

Edited by chompy

...he mentioned that he did not hooy up the choke because he lived in the carribeans

Yep! ... That was me.

Honduras is located at the Heart of the Caribbean Central America, and I wrote about the Weber Swap, the link is posted above (Thanks Chompy) but I don't have a Justy... never had a Justy; only a 1985 Subaru EA82 since brand new... the "BumbleBeast" :D

Kind Regards.

So, you want to do a Weber Swap onto a Justy?

Great! ... But it is the J10 (1.0L) engine or J12 (1.2L) engine?

Maybe the Weber could be too Big for it... not only jettings, which might be changed anyway; I mean the overall Carb + Adapter + Air Filter tallness; maybe it would hit the Hood... I'm not Sure.

The answer to your Question depends on this: If the Hitachi Carburator on your Justy's engine...

Has the Same Base than the one on the Subaru EA81 engines, No Problem: you could obtain a Single Plate adapter; usually Redline Weber does them.

Has the Same Base than the one on the Subaru EA82 engines, No Problem, you could use the two plate adaptor from Redline, or the taller Single Plate adaptor from Trans-Dapt, as I wrote on the Link posted above, with photos of both adaptors.

If base doesn't match, no problem either :Dyou can weld the adapter you want there.

Two Generations of the Subaru Justy, being REAL Subarus, were sold in Honduras, the first gen came J10 and Squarier, the Second Gen came with Rounded corners and J12, last ones were EFi, but I have not much mechanical experience with Justys, I've seen them, even posted photos of Honduran EFi Justys with LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) specs, as seems like USDM never got their EFi versions...

JustyJ12Engine2.jpg

...by the way, the Third gen Justy is a Geo Metro, the Fourth gen Justy, is a Suzuki ignis 4WD, and the actual fifth Gen Justy, is a Daihatsu Sirion... (Photos & info on the Legendary "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread)

Lets wait for another USMB member with better experience on Justys than me, to post additional information on the Weber Swap on them.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Many Justys have received Weber 32/36 carbs.  The Justy intake manifold shares the same carb base as the EA82 motor, so that is the adapter you would want.  The displacement of the individual cylinders for a 1.2 L Justy (0.4 l/cylinder) are not much different than the 1.8 liter (0.45 l/cylinder), so I would start with the base jetting for a 1.8 L and adjust the jetting down if needed.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1