Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Full ea82 swap into brat, help needed

you will need the ea81 trans crossmember on the ea82 trans. you wil also have to swap over the pitch bar mont form the ea81 onto the ea82 bellhousing. It is possible to use the ea81 intake and carb on the ea82 block, unless the ea82 is already a carb unit.

The leads to the disty will have to be lengthened to attach to the coil

you can use an ea82 radiator. otherwise, you will need a flexo hose for the lower.

the timing belt covers may be close if your rig is lifted.

You may have to install the engine first, and then the disty to clear the brake master cylinder. You may have to relocate the ill holder by undoing its mount and flxing it out of the way.

You may have to cut a mounting tab off the disty and clock it something crazy, and rearrange the plug wires to compensate.

The pitch bar is the little bar holding the tranny onto the frame correct? Also what wiring will I have to change, I know on the tranny there's a couple wires that can be tricky but have no idea which ones

What do I need to change to put an ea82 engine and tranny into my ea81 brat, I suck super hard at the search function and can't seem to find a write up on this particular swap

Your not going to find a write up because no one swaps in an engine that is less reliable, and doesn't have much more power than the existing engine.The other way is more common because you gain simplicity and bullet proof reliability even at the expense of a few HP.

Compared to an EA81 the only parts worth anything on an ea82 are the: SPFI fuel injection system-simple and robust,the longer and beefier front suspension,and the dual range 5 speed transmission. Other than that the ea82 sucks-the body is too big and heavy,the rear suspension has less suspension travel than its EA81 counterpart,and the engine is a leaky unreliable mess that blows headgaskets and eats timing belts-not to mention the infamous lifter tick.

Unless you engine is blown swap in the 5 speed transmission and the SPFI fuel injection onto your ea81.

• Like 1

The only reason I was going to swap it is to get rid of the 86 wagon in front of my house and it just seemed easier to swap everything instead of just the tranny, I'm planning on putting a ej22 into it(another car that is sitting in front of my house) but don't have enough money for the flywheel drill and adapter plate just yet

Edited by sumoco

I did this swap in my 83 Brat and it changed the feel of the old car. I put in the SPFI with the help of GD's write up. Mine is an auto and the motor was out of an auto so it was a bolt in to the flex plate and trans but you will need to widen the motor mount slots about a quarter inch on each side.

The SPFI engine really awaken this car. I am now able to pull hills in high gear that needed second gear before.

I am happy with the swap but be sure to change your belts, seals and valve cover gaskets before you put the motor in.

That said I am currently abut a month away from dropping in an EJ22.

I am another no one who has recently done this on a non lifted EA81. Swapped out 510,000km EA81 with twin carbs, swapped in an EA82 180,000km with turbo heads, cam, inlet manifold and run LPG though the mpfi throttle body. EA82 5 speed dual range box already in and running last 9 years.

I recoed my heads, mizpah reco lifters and just fitted new timing belt kit and got economy back !

Don't regret the swap for one minute

You use word 'tranny' - slushbox or manual stick shift ? I know zip about putting auto in - taken a few out though :)

If manual, you must use the clutch pedal from the EA82 as it increases an EA81 clutch pedal pull from 16 to the required 25mm. Mount a 10mm spacer between EA82 cable and EA81 pedal box once you have cut off EA81 pedal box cable mount.

Tal shafts need consideration too. I bolted a two piece EA82 tailshaft in to simple flat bar 40mm x 5mm brackets bolted to just under seats on both sides

+1 on extra wide eng mount slots, and as you drop engine in, undo the engine mount to block bolts 1/4" so the mounts flop loose, minimises the distance the engne x mem studs are and just drops in so easy, and easy to get at to tighten up once in place

Edited by jono
  • Like 1