Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch replacement

Hi,

The clutch was slipping on my 91 Loyale so I bought a new clutch, removed the transaxle, bolted the new clutch onto the flywheel and bolted the transmission back into place. I connected the shift lever and put the transmission in gear then used a socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt to turn the engine. I expected to see that the axle stubs (whatever they are rightfully called) coming out of the transaxle would be turning.

But I don't see this. Was I wrong? Why would they not be turning? How can I check that the clutch is working at least partially before putting everthing together and trying to drive it? If the clutch is not working, what could I have done wrong besides putting the friction disk in the wrong way around? I am "sure" that I put it in right. I stared at it and read the 'this side towards flywheel' print on it before putting it in but I have put directional parts on wrong before in exactly the same way.

Derek

Well I'm pretty sure that the throwout bearing is installed correctly. In any case the throwout bearing would only come into play if the clutch pedal was depressed. I want the clutch to be engaged so that turning the engine drives the transaxle. Do you see my logic?

Maybe do it the other way. Put it in neutral and turn the front wheel(s) by hand. Pretty easy to turn. Now put it in gear and try again. If you notice no difference, put it in another [higher] gear and try again. If it gets harder to turn the wheel, you should be okay.

Also, you're sure you have the pilot bearing on the flywheel? When I did my clutch swap, I stupidly forgot to put the pilot bearing in the new flywheel, so I had to take it all apart again.

I would hook up the clutch cable, push in the clutch a few times and try it again. Did you have any issues with the clips that hold the TOB on the clutch fork? Probably not causing the problem, but I had issues with 'em not holding it tight enough, so I had to get new ones from the dealership.

TallonX, it is easy to move the clutch fork so that the throwout bearing is not in contact with the clutch plate.

jj421, yes, pilot bearing is in place and I'm pretty sur that the clips are ok. I guess I will put it in neutral and different gears or connect the clutch cable as you suggest. I don't know what else to do other than to remove it again before going any farther and if I don't see anything wrong, then what?

gear selection can be difficult, maybe not actually happen?? if the engine stay rod between firewall and engine is not in place ...... did you fit this back in before trying?

I don't think you can fit the clutch plate in wrong faceway and bolt it all back together nicely without realising first, maybe not first, but as you tighten things, on these clutches. Think fly to crank bolt heads interfere ....

Ok, mystery solved. I could only turn the crankshaft through a small arc because of the cooling fan. I had it in too low a gear to see the stub axles move. When i put it in 5th then I could see that they do indeed move so the clutch is connecting the engine to the transaxle after all. I think I have the clutch cable put properly back in place, now I have to figure out how to adjust it in order to verify that the clutch will disconnect the engine from the transaxle.

Thanks everyone for thinking about my problem.

Clutch cable should be just a bit shy of tight.....just a tiny bit of slack until you push the pedal.

Once you get it set.....then HillHolder adjusts to where it pulls HH cable at the point where the clutch cable gets tight.