Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T plumbing question

I have a 1.8L EA series MPFI turbo model engine. It's out of an 87 gl-10 sedan four door. I am re-plumbing the thing after its been apart for years and need some help.

Next to the fuel pressure regulator there are three steel lines. One is high pressure fuel from the pump. The second is coming off the regulator and going back to the fuel tank as return. But the third... No idea... Any hunches on what needs to be connected to it?

I traced it to both the throttle body and thermomvalve. Other than that I am stumped..

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1196390.jpg"

I have a 1.8L EA series MPFI turbo model engine. It's out of an 87 gl-10 sedan four door. I am re-plumbing the thing after its been apart for years and need some help.

Next to the fuel pressure regulator there are three steel lines. One is high pressure fuel from the pump. The second is coming off the regulator and going back to the fuel tank as return. But the third... No idea... Any hunches on what needs to be connected to it?

I traced it to both the throttle body and thermomvalve. Other than that I am stumped..

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1196390.jpg"

the third line goes under the intake....across to the passenger side, and into the charcoal canister.....it connects the canister to the vent line on the tank.

Oh snap! Nice dude! That just made my day!

So connected to that port is an evap line from the tank then?

The engine is in a 74 vw super beetle. I'm plumbing all the fuel lines yes right now. So I'm thinking if that's the case, I could run my evap lines from the fuel tank, to the third port, and utilize the original Subaru canister. That sounds reasonable right?

I have a thread going on TheSamba to watch the build going if you wanna check it

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7155977&highlight=&sid=cc7b5fde6dd495ca1179e63e99b20848#7155977

Thanks again man! I owe you for that fast reply.

confirming , yep, that line is just utilising the collection of metal lines to get the line from one side of the engine to the other - neatly, and to the char can. That engine should push the bug along nicely. I have seen a WRX engine in similar age 'Bug here.....mind boggling how it all fitted in !

Just looked at your build thread :) Now can see why the VW was used for kit cars - never seen the body off like that !

Love your hard work on the fan install ..is that what others have used ? They are the main cooling fan on EA82 and my non AC EA82T came with just one, so all should be cool, what with, them being plentiful and cheap to replace, and ever reliable. I think the reason I have so many in my shed is never found a dud ! The AC version came with a clutch fan on the water pump.

I first heard about Subes in bugs when talking to a guy who had an EA81, twin turbos, twin carbs - quicker off the mark he claimed that a WRX, just had to get out a slide rule to make some calculations before cornering though :D

Edited by jono

Thanks man! I got the fan enclosure idea from a couple other people who had installed the radiators up front. My main goal with that is to keep from superheating the fuel tank.

And yeah, the front end is soooo light on that thing, cornering will be a definite challenge. I'm thinking that it will require stiffening the rear suspension and lowering the front end a little bit. and putting something heavy up front like a bag of cement or something hahaha!!

I almost finished up my plumbing of the fuel system on sunday, but I got caught up riding the motorcycle instead. I'll update the thread this week sometime with some more photos and info of the progress.

Thanks for the interest in the build though man. It's a long going project needing to get finished.