Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor, No timing chain, vs. Turbo, fuel inject, etc.

I have often considered putting a turbo on my ea71, but then i get into researching parts and the work its going to take to do it.... for me, it always comes back to the fact that i can buy an ej22 parts car and swap the ej22 and trans into my brat for cheaper (not to mention easier) than i could put a turbo on my ea71. also, the ej22 would give me pretty much double the power i have right now, whereas the turbo might increase it to what... 80hp? just my 2 cents

If I remember correctly, the Turbo Trans-Ams from the late '70s (or early '80s - back when they looked like a Trans-Am) had the 350, carbed and turbo charged, but instead of just running the output of the turbo to the intake of the carb, it fed a sealed plenum-box that housed the carb, thus pressurizing the entire fuel delivery system..

Again, if I recall, that was done to keep the seals and little vents from spewing gasoline when under positive pressure, since the entirety of the carb was under pressure.

But that was the early days when "Turbocharged" on the side of the vehicle drew crowds and gasps of amazement.

Rustybrat,  no disrespect intended but please re-read the OP first post.  No mention of EJ swap.  Total dislike for timing belts and chains etc etc.

Seems some of us EA lovers are always going to have to prepare ourselves for the "Go EJ" answer to everything. If an EJ swap was so good, so easy and so quick  why do any of us still run EA engines?

Because we like em.

Bit like silicone filled busts......but that's another story

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, the Turbo Trans-Ams from the late '70s (or early '80s - back when they looked like a Trans-Am) had the 350, carbed and turbo charged, but instead of just running the output of the turbo to the intake of the carb, it fed a sealed plenum-box that housed the carb, thus pressurizing the entire fuel delivery system..

Again, if I recall, that was done to keep the seals and little vents from spewing gasoline when under positive pressure, since the entirety of the carb was under pressure.

But that was the early days when "Turbocharged" on the side of the vehicle drew crowds and gasps of amazement.

yes they did I forgot about those

however there is not much involved in covering a carb to take a blow throw turbo

Rustybrat,  no disrespect intended but please re-read the OP first post.  No mention of EJ swap.  Total dislike for timing belts and chains etc etc.

Seems some of us EA lovers are always going to have to prepare ourselves for the "Go EJ" answer to everything. If an EJ swap was so good, so easy and so quick  why do any of us still run EA engines?

Because we like em.

Bit like silicone filled busts......but that's another story

I know, i was just mentioning it as an option

• Like 1

I heard this one day at a shopping centre, looked around corner to see a 911 convertible whose driver los tit in a left hand turn, collected a keep left sign and its half cubic metre of concrete anchor, accompanying them on their career into and over a square concrete gutter. Median strip gravel swept everywhere as a result, bent axle and whopping great ding in rear guard and his pride - exposed while he waited an hour for a tow truck!

What a sight! What a sight!

the whole 'get a better engine' thing - I have noted on some stretches of road, up moontains etc that the EA81 twin carbed EA81 is going same speed and op temp as my EA82T with up to 12 psi on tap and same operating temp! Just a little more noise coming from the EA81

Some road stretches both engines were limited and that could just be down to the 8 valve config of the EA Series ?

The EA82 is definitely a nicer engine than the EA81 noisewise and power delivery. No doubt the EJ are better again - if not, be a big worry :)

I am hard pressed to see too many other daily drivers out there 30 years and older.

Having sourced lotsa different bits based around the 4 stud and EA stuff, I am sticking with it for common parts reasons

• Like 1