Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking About Giving Up On My 99 Outback

www.car-part.com or classified section here for a transmission, craigslist.

estimating high - $500 for a trans and $500 for install i'd look for $1000 tops, hopefully less.

i know of a guy that installs trans for $350 and a trans shop that would install your supplied transmission (this was 10+ years ago) for $200. no warranty or replacing any additional parts, but they'd slap it in there.

blk99obs

you did that without pulling the engine? I don't think I have the expertise to do it myself. how far off the ground would I have to lift the car?

btw. I took the rear drive shaft on the hope that it was my center diff was bad but apparently its the front diff. thanks for the suggestion. im on vacation for the next 2 weeks and live close to Reno so I can do some snooping around.

Hey, sorry I took forever to get back to you. Yes, I did it without pulling the engine. It doesn't really require any expertise, and really isn't as daunting as you'd think. You seriously just unbolt everything, and bolt the new one in. Only difficult thing about it really is stuck bolts, and popping out the pins holding the front axles on, but even that isnt too bad with a little penetrating oil and the right sized punch. Theres no rocket science about it, just takes time. The only thing you'd really need know is how to install a clutch if you did that at the same time, which is pretty much just torquing the pressure plate properly as not to warp it, but if you're not replacing the clutch then just unbolt/unplug everything from it, pop the roll pins that hold the axles on, and one more roll pin for the gear shifter, separate it from the motor (get a friend to help you, and lower on a jack if possible as its kinda heavy, with you on one side, and friend on the other to stabilize) and reinstall new trans in reverse order.

the vin is 4s3bg6855x6638016

which digit gives you the tranny code? I was at a shop yesterday and the guy showed me that it was probably my front diff. said the parts from Subaru would run about 300-350 and labor would be 9=10 hrs at $92 an hour. but that is best case scenario.