Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Master Cyl Bench Bleed?

Id like to bench bleed a new master cylinder for my 87 GL10 (2wd automatic).

I looked thru the original subaru service manual and cant find a procedure for bench bleeding. Ive done many bench bleeds on other cars in the past but I never saw a master cyl with 4 outlets (usually 2).

Also, The master cylinder I got has a bleed kit but it only included two fittings / tubes. I can use an old kit and do all 4 of them at the same time but my question is: is bench bleeding necessary on this subaru?

Thanks

Frank T

I found it necessary to bench bleed a master after a resleeve and rebuild. I got a pair of steel lines from a wreck to screw into the masters ports on my Brumby, added some clear pvc tubing, filled reservoir and made pvc tube ends sit in the fluid and bench bled until all bubbles left the house.

Then still needed fingers on port to minimise air again. It was the only way the master was gonna bleed out

i've never really bothered bleeding.  i tried the first couple times and it didn't seem very efficient since you're always exposing the ports prior to installing it to the lines in the chassis anyway. 

since then i've done little more than just fill the thing with some fluid and bolt it in.  never had a problem.  i work almost exclusively on Subarus and have only ever replaced one non-Subaru MC so my experience is almost entirely Subarus.  they're really easy all the ones i've done.