Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why is oil getting into carb from valve cover

Did a weber swap now im getting oil all the way up the hose that connects the valve cover to the air filter housing

Is this normal? Any fixes?

Not normal.  You are going to have to post some pictures or a diagram of how you have the PCV system set-up.

well i just swapped it so I really didn't put that much thought into it. I have the passenger side valve cover hooked to the air filter on the weber the driver side has a pod filter on the valve cover and the pcv is just hanging out. Just went down to the parts store and got a new PCV gonna throw that on today

drivers side goes to a three way fitting with pcv and air cleaner, see in this pic, the air cleaner hose is much smaller diameter. pass side is just straight the air cleaner.

IMG_0368_zps5f9b5487.jpg

*(OT) Can I get a better look at that funky air cleaner?

You can put a catch can in the line before the air filter if you have to. Is your motor high milage?

Hard to say when i got it the guy said it had 150 thousand because the head blew on the original engine and he just swapped in a different ea81

the odometer reads 210 thousand so i dunno but its in pretty decent condition except the exhaust

so I got the appropriate pcv setup now but something seems strange

I was kinda under the assumption that clean air goes in passenger side valve cover and gets the blow by gasses and out the drivers side cover to pcv

When i disconnect the hoses off the valve covers both are blowing

but shouldnt the passegner side be drawing air in?