Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changed air filter and PCV valve, engine stalls after start

Well I was anxious to start the tune up on my "new" 97 Impreza OBS.  Changed the air filter and PCV valve (both pretty dirty).  Now the car starts but stalls after a couple revolutions.  I can keep it going with the throttle down, around 3,000 rpms, but stalls if I let up.  I switched back to the old PCV thinking the gunk was somehow in pseudo-calibration with the engine, but it still stalls now.  

Any ideas what could be happening here?  

I was planning to do a tune up (change spark plugs and fuel filter this weekend) now I'm worried about my approach to the simple items.

Edited by bIGbEN

Thanks Miles!  popped off and didn't see it.  Of course now it starts up idles fine but stalls when i get over 3000 rpm, check engine light is on now.  Can't wait to find out what I broke just trying to do something so simple.

Likely you tripped a MAF code while the hose was disconnected. you should be able to clear the code with an obd2 scanner

Or............pull off the negative battery cable for maybe 20 minutes, the re-attach. Often that will clear a code.

So mechanic says bad MAF (just figuring out that I could own an OBD2 scanner).    Says he can replace but will cost $37.00 for the sensor, whoa.  Auto parts store has rebuilt for 207.00.   Nearby junkyard has one inventoried for 35.  Think I will take my chances for 35, maybe try a little refurbishing of the old sensor.