Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extending Gl Steering Shaft

I'm about to lift my '87 gl 2" but I'm going to need to extend the steering shaft. I've read somewhere that you don't have to do any welding if you combine power steering and non power steering linkage, which is what I'd like to do, my car is power steering and I have a non ps parts car, I'd like to know which sections of which linkage I need to use.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

You don't need a steering extension with a 2". You'll do Just fine without. If anything, go snag one from an Obs or an Outback if you want the steering extension. They're slightly longer than a stock ea82 coupler.

• Like 1

You'll only need a longer steering coupler if you drop the front crossmember as well. Usually with a 2" lift you only drop the struts down. But if you do drop the front crossmember, then you'll need the steering coupler lengthened the same amount as that is dropped.

Actually if you drop it you need a coupler that is longer but not by the same amount.

It will actually be a bit less.

think of it as a right triangle......where the coupler is the hypotinus of the triangle.  we will call that "C"

the height difference of the rack end, and the column end is "B"

and the horizontal length is "A"

So if you drop the crossmember 2" you need a coupler that is A squared + (B+2") squared = C squared 

• Like 2