Ultimate Subaru Message Board

E82 radiator in a E81?

As the title states, can I do it?

I should've checked before buying it on Amazon. Amazon had said it fit my Brat, but I

now see the difference. I have a E81 '85 Brat

The Spectra CU698 has the two pipes on the rad. cap side which I believe would be

for the overflow tank on an E82.

The overflow hose is also welded and crimped- I had cut off a 1/4" of it and had seen it was welded.

I could cut off a little more and use it as a overflow hose though as it's not filled completely.

The Spectra CU698 also has a proper plug on the right side, but i should be able to fit a  metal plug

and washer -right now it just has a plastic plug in it similar to the drain.

The fan fits though, and it lines up where it should with the two radiator bolts.

Can i just take the radiator to a shop and have the two pipes for the overflow tank brazed/welded up?

I should of ordered the Spectra CU84

post-48647-0-00544400-1401652422_thumb.jpg

post-48647-0-84879000-1401652454_thumb.jpg

Edited by seventythree

I have an EA82 radiator in my 84 Brumby, but also have EA82 engine.

I have spaced the top of the rad towards the engine, using hoses in happy place to govern just where rad should sit forward at top.

The major differences are (as far as the stuff we got)

single core EA82, twin core EA81

EA81 body has locating pins coming up from chassis rail below radiator

EA82 rad has the lcating pins and rubbers on radiator pointing down to locate in mounting brackets with holes

To make mine fit, I reduced height of EA81 body mounted rad locating pins, instead of complete removal in case ever need to fit EA81 rad back in.

Salvaged the holey brackets with locating holes off the EA81 radiator bottom bracket and riveted them to the chassis rail below. The EA82 radiator and its mounting pins and brackets now sit in these roveted in place brackets.

Hoses are another different thing to play with.

You will likely find EA81 top rad hose fits up nice to EA82 rad, but bottom hose you may need to sort out, join two odd hoses together.

Then, the two holes up top on body, don't line up with EA82 rads top mounting bolts. I redrilled the radiator top frame to suit my spacer bracket.

thanks for your replies jono and subruise.

I've been thinking though, couldn't i just use these two pipes for an aftermarket oil cooler?

I think what i may do though is just get the right radiator and sell this one at a good price here.

I could've returned it, but i cut that overflow hose.  DOH!

(it's still welded up though- so it would be ok to use in an E82)

I thought it funny that my radiator just had that radiator hose  and no overflow tank,

but upon searching I found that it was made that way. The E81 was vent to atmosphere- the radiator sort of works

as it's own overflow tank and spits out what isn't needed. The driver needs to keep an eye on it and top up when needed.

Keeping a bottle of some sort to collect the green juice would be smart though.