Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carburetor Altitude Compensation

Hey all - I'm new to Subarus and new to the forum, introduced myself and my car here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/146965-brand-new-subaru-owner-84-gl-awd/

I'm doing a cross-country trip in August from Seattle to NYC in my GL, and I'm not too familiar with carburetors. Someone told me that for all the change in altitude with a trip like this, I may have to jet the carb myself along the way to compensate for the density of the air. Is this true? Can anyone speak to this from experience? Would love to get more info. Thanks!

You won't have any issues. Unless you plan to drive through Denver on the way.... I have gone from Seattle to Montana several times in my Brat, and 4th Of July Pass is the highest thing you'll encounter between here and NYC. No issues at all.

You won't have any issues. Unless you plan to drive through Denver on the way.... I have gone from Seattle to Montana several times in my Brat, and 4th Of July Pass is the highest thing you'll encounter between here and NYC. No issues at all.

Haha well.... we maaay be planning to pass through Denver. And when I say may, I mean we are. We have friends we're crashing with there. 

Homestake Pass in Butte is about twice the elevation of 4th of July.  Long climb heading west.

You will notice a loss in power and fuel efficiency, but it's not like you won't be able to drive through...although, you do have an ea81 automatic sooo I recommend a running start on the hills and enjoy the scenery at a walking pace at the top of any pass in Colorado.  You will get props for driving such a sweet wagon, so people will probably be a little more understanding if they are stuck behind you.  And seriously watch out for deer and elk.  There is a lot more big game on the roads there than the west coast...which is saying something.

If you had a Weber I would say take an extra idle jet or two because you can easily access them from the outside of the carb, but I would not bother switching jets on a Hitachi.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

Homestake Pass in Butte is about twice the elevation of 4th of July.  Long climb heading west.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that! Of course, I try to drive through Butt (intentional lol) as little as possible. I did have a Brat when I lived in Denver. I bumped the timing up 4 degrees and it wasn't so bad.

We actually live in NYC, and are shipping the car out west to drive it back. Sounds crazy I know, but we're actually filming a feature length documentary, thus the whole point of the trip :P

The car spent its whole 30 year life in Colorado, so I assume its equipped to handle the altitude, but we all know what happens when we assume something like that. Haha. I'm checking to see if the car has an HAC installed (haven't actually picked it up yet). But that would probably make a difference yes? 

Would doing the Weber carb swap be a good idea in this case as well? We'll have a decent amount of gear along with four bodies. Definitely don't want to get stuck on a mountain pass in CO or Utah. Yikes.

Thank you all for your help!

An ea81, with 4 people and gear, at altitude? Let me know your route and days of travel so i can be sure not to be behind you!

I guess the plus side is that you'll be able to stop and smell the wildflowers without (intentionally) slowing down!

On a weber equipped car, id say bring some smaller jets. On an original colorado car and hitachi, it should still have the altitude compensator dealy (drawing a blank as to what its really called) and so should be okay.

I keep an assortment of jets in the glovebox, since on any given day, I may potentially go from 5k to 14k feet.

An ea81, with 4 people and gear, at altitude? Let me know your route and days of travel so i can be sure not to be behind you!

I guess the plus side is that you'll be able to stop and smell the wildflowers without (intentionally) slowing down!

On a weber equipped car, id say bring some smaller jets. On an original colorado car and hitachi, it should still have the altitude compensator dealy (drawing a blank as to what its really called) and so should be okay.

I keep an assortment of jets in the glovebox, since on any given day, I may potentially go from 5k to 14k feet.

haha I know right? yikes. fortunately it's not a ton of gear and three of us are on the short side.  :D

If you have a HAC Hitachi and it pulls really good and runs absolutely perfect, then maybe consider running that, but otherwise the Weber is a definite must or an SPFI swap.  Not sure how much time you are going to have to get a Weber tuned in, but you will definitely want some time to tune whatever you are running.

If you go with the Weber it should have 50s for primary and secondary idle jets.  I would probably carry a pair of 45s and even 40s, though I think the 45s would be enough.

Of course you realize we are all now waiting for your documentary :popcorn:

• Like 1

If you have a HAC Hitachi and it pulls really good and runs absolutely perfect, then maybe consider running that, but otherwise the Weber is a definite must or an SPFI swap.  Not sure how much time you are going to have to get a Weber tuned in, but you will definitely want some time to tune whatever you are running.

If you go with the Weber it should have 50s for primary and secondary idle jets.  I would probably carry a pair of 45s and even 40s, though I think the 45s would be enough.

Of course you realize we are all now waiting for your documentary :popcorn:

haha well you'll have to wait for a little while - we don't start the shoot/trip until August 3rd, which gives us two months. I'm seriously considering the Weber swap after everything I've read. the parts are a bit over $300, and sadly none of us are versed enough yet to do the full swap ourselves (though we're working on it!) - so we'd have to find a mechanic. Is there a place on the forums to ask about local subaru mechanics? Or does anyone have some resources on that front?

Also, if you want to learn a bit more about our film you can check out our website www.justgofilm.com 

Thanks for the help everyone! Truly appreciate it.

If you are not familiar with carbs it would be worth it to investigate doing the SPFI swap.  You take an SPFI set-up from a later 80s model Subaru an install it on your ea81.  It's not as simple as that, but that is essentially what you do.  Many members here have done it and there is a write that member GeneralDisorder put together (hopefully that's still available).  The problem with taking a carbed car to a mechanic is that most of them don't know anything about carbs and half the ones that say they do, don't actually know what they are talking about.  FI will be WAAAY better at altitude also, and you don't have to do anything like change jets.

• 1 month later...

I live in Nederland, CO, about  45 miles Northwest of  Denver and we are at 8200'. I drive a carbureted  '85 Brat. I havent had any work done on my Brat from them yet but I had them do work on a 4runner I had, any way you can call Tony at Peak to Peak up here in Ned. They still know older carbureted Subarus

Good luck with your trip and film.  There must be a few top notch Subaru Wizards in Seattle to do that Weber swap for you.  The experienced members on this board are on it.  I brought my wagon from Denver and it had a altitude compensator and still has the Hitachi carb.  I have heard MUCH praise for the Weber carb swap and I would do it if I lived in different zip code.  Beware of possible smog illegal issues and don't discard the original parts, linkages, gaskets, hoses, ......everything.  Pack it all in a large box and ship it to your destination.  You might need them in future or someone on this board may be very very grateful to you for saving them.  Please post a link to your film when you can.  Best of luck, Aaron