Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stiffer/higher suspension on Leg II SW

I often run the car fully loaded and with trailer, and rear shocks gave the ghost

car also seemed always to sit a bit low at the back, specially compared to my gen 1 that was actually higher there. (boy, how i miss it....)

so it sounds like a slightly stiffer spring and longer strut is what i need.

now then,  i tried to read through this thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/146192-lifting-my-95-legacy-sedan/?hl=%2Blegacy+%2Brear+%2Bspring&do=findComment&comment=1227928

but couldn't understand the bottom line really...

sounds like by mixing the right stock subaru components from other models this can be achieved but not really sure  which

car is a european 1995 2ng gen leg 2.0L 5MT SW, normal suspension. i use the stock 14" rims with stock sized winter tires and alloy 15" with 195/60 summer tires. lets say tire internal clearance not an issue. whit the car sitting low at the back, i do get some light rub on the outside when bottoming, another reason for wanting a higher/stiffer rear end.

can anyone describe clearly how to make this type of upgrade using outback/forester stuff?

I always have the option of simply turning on a late a 1"-1.5" spacer to put above the spring as a DIY solution.

tnxs in advance!

ok, thanks guys

is there any online catalog/list that has strut and springs lengths for reach model?

that thread cited some minor differences in the struts between Leg, OB and forester, any show stoppers in there?

cheers

TG

did some pocking around, and it looks like much of the stuff is for serious lifting at both ends, whereas i am looking only for just a little bit more at the back under loaded conditions. The car sees only paved roads and i am not a beer drinker (i load it up mostly for motorcycle road racing weekends, not a good mix with alcohol :) ) .... so not really seeking more suspension travel

looks like my setup is going to be stock struts, maybe stiffer springs and DIY 1" lifter blocks.

Will do the blocks during this week, and will give them a try in the weekend before ordering the shocks. can anybody say if ill be able to slide them over the struts with them in place? was thinking of simply unbolting the three M8 bolts,  lifting the car, let the struts drops a bit and see if i can fit them in.

Doable?

Edited by turboguzzi

Is your car AWD or FWD? FWD rear springs have a much lower spring rate than AWD. New stock AWD springs will make a noticable difference in that case.

If you have AWD, and you're loading up with gear every weekend new stock springs will wear out just like the old ones have done. The rear springs are a bit too soft on these cars and just don't hold up over time, especially when carrying cargo on a regular basis. A set of King springs will probably be your best bet here. Their standard height springs are stiffer than stock springs so will carry more load withor sagging, and without a crazy amount of lift when unloaded.

The outback/forester struts will all lift the car, but do not offer higher spring rates.

tnxs fairtax

mine is a AWD

reflects what i see on the street.... so many legs kinda sit  low on the back.

i am located in italy so USA/Australia suppliers would be expensive shipping for me. But turbo impreza springs do come up every now and then on ebay here, any chance that these could fit? (assuming they are a stiffer rate than mine)

From what I understand Impreza turbo springs are shorter overall height, which means they would lower the car, and have only slightly higher spring rate.

I found a thread on one of the impreza forums not long ago that listed spring rates for various cars. Ill try to find it again.

If nothing else, stock Outback springs and Struts will give you 1" of lift. This is all from the strut though. The Outback Strut is 1" longer than a normal Legacy strut. Often new springs will provide the appearance of more lift compared to the worn out springs that are on the car.

There is a section in the service manual that covers alignment specs. Part of the procedure is to measure ride height, and the manual has info on where to measure and what the spec should be. This can give you an idea of how worn your springs are and how much difference to expect with new stock springs.

well, looks like i am going to be using OB struts + stiffer srpings made here in italy by a company called ORAP.

but in the meantime, was also reading about DIY raiser blocks, so being a DIYer myslef had to give it a try!

1hour work in the workshop to make 1.25" raisers using a template file
found on here, and amazingly, less than an hour to fit without even
taking the struts out, just by lifting the car and letting the struts drop.

car now looks like a proper SW job, back higher than front rather than the other way round, same stance as my good old
gen 1, pretty amazed it was so easy.

like many say, 1.25" is pretty much the limit, simply because of the brake hose
length, gave it some extra slack by bending the tab on the shock with vise grips.

if OB struts will result in the same height, then definetely thats the next step

post-4577-0-62419000-1402848455_thumb.jpg

Edited by turboguzzi