Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple way to break cam sprocket bolts free

Well today I found out that it is hard to source the Cam Sprocket holding tool thing.... Which in turn makes it hard to remove the cam sprocket bolts with motor in car (taking off the valve cover in car can suck).

So the trick I figured out today was take your old timing belt wrap it around the sprocket and have your lovely assistant hold tight. At this point you just give a quick whack on your wrench and it should break the bolt free with out turning over the cam :) 

i've never done the remove-valve-cover method except maybe when already disassembling a motor once or twice. 

loosening with timing belt still in place is ideal too, it holds a good bit of tension on the sprocket.

my friend uses an impact - same idea as a socket and slamming the end of the handle with a hammer

rubber strap wrenches are what i typically use

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21782.jpg

A trick I have used is put the trans in #5, set brake and just turn the bolt....gotta have mt for that though. I have thought of making the tools.....they are pricy and difficult to find. If I develop a home made tool, I will post.

GrossGary,

My issue was I had a broken timing belt already so wasn't able to use the gearing trick to help me. On the flip side that probably would have come in handy for breaking the crank pulley bolt free. Ended up rigging up a system to hold the bolt and bumped the motor to break the crank bolt free. 

MR_Loyale, 

I just picked up a custom made Crank Sprocket Tool from a friend he made out of basically the same parts. Going to get the loyale back together tomorrow.