Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easier To Remove motor/tranny as Unit or Tranny Only?

I need to remove tranny to replace front diff. would it be easier for me to remove motor/tranny as a unit or just remove the tranny?

the motor runs great, the head gaskets were replaced about 90k ago and the timing belt just replaced 10k ago. the motor has 275k on it.

also, I have a hard time using directions for removal from the Haynes manual. are there any good videos I could use to help?

thanks.

I think its easier to just pull the trans, but it depends on what equipment you have available.

Do you have large jack stands (18" or taller) and a large floor jack? You really can't put a jack under the pan on these transmissions without a transmission adapter. The pans deflect very easily and can damage the solenoids and wiring on the bottom of the valve body. Because of that you need lots of room to roll the trans under while its on top of whatever contraption you find to roll it around on. A furniture dolly works well but they're usually 4-5" tall. A transmission jack adapter is usually taller.

pulling the trans requires the least amount of work - not really much to get the trans out.  so it *can* be the easiest way to remove the transmission...particularly out west where you have no rust so you're exhaust won't fall to pieces if you remove it. LOL

but working under the vehicle is challenging and terribly annoying and requires extra time...crawling under, crawling out...every time you need a tool, etc.

and you get lots of debris in your eyes and lighting is a challenge.  small points but they add up on a big job or depending on your personality.

so yes, pulling the trans alone can be quick, but lots of people don't like it.

if you have a lift - snake chains down through the engine bay to attach to the trans and you can use your engine lift to help with the weight/control of the trans.

gary. thanks for the advice. I watched briansmobile1 video on youtube on removing Subaru tranny and he makes it look so easy. I guess if you have done it dozens of times it is easy.

I don't have a lift. will have to improvise on a tranny support.