Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sloppy steering fix? Loyale

I just picked up a 92 Loyale and it has very sloppy steering, especially compared to my old one. My grandpas '77 Newport felt like less of a boat. The suspension is quite soft, but not night and day compared to my old one. I am fairly certain I need to replace my struts. There is a fair bit of body roll that makes the steering sloppy but I feel like there is a bunch of play in the steering wheel before any movement in the wheels. At full lock it also causes the steering wheel to "bounce" back off full lock.

I am going to get all my work done by a friend who is a mechanic. With my work schedule and our arrangement, it would really help to try and pre-diagnose this before I could leave it with him. I am thinking of getting some king springs and kybs but am worried that is not all of the problem. I could also pull parts from my old one if needed. Thoughts?

delay in steering is typical steering rack bushing failure.  inspect them - they are usually gone, oil saturated, or deteriorated.

you turn the wheel...the rack moves instead of the wheels turning due to compromised bushing...then once all the slack is taken up - the wheels turn.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of play in my 91 Loyale. I replaced the inner and outer tie rods and boots and the tie rod ends. This tightened up the steerings a lot. then I replaced all four struts and the front strut tower mounts, HUGE difference. The car is very tight now. The strut replacement isn't too bad if you know how to use a spring compression tool(which can be very dangerous).