Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 to EA82T ?

Kraig

I was at the wrecker today getting a fuel pump, and the loyale there had an EA82T ... Mines a standard EA82.  Say I wanted to put the turbo on there, because I would love a little more pop.  Is it really as easy as it looks? or is there more to it that I am missing?

the turbo exhaust won't clear your non-turbo cross member.  you need to install the turbo cross member, custom fabricate your cross member for exhaust clearance, or custom exhaust work. 

based on the piston design turbo engines are low compression and non turbo engines are high compression.

technically you can install just the turbo if you keep the boost really low - like 3-7psi.  without excellent engine management and care you run the risk of blowing your engine up, which is what most people do.

you could swap the entire engine - block, turbo, and all.  the electronics won't be the same either and require some tweaking.

for the amount of work you'd be better off doing an EJ swap - hardly any more money or work and 10X the reliability, practicality, maintenance..etc.

Great thanks for the help!. ... Finding an EJ22 is like finding diamonds out here however though, will just have to keep my eyes open.

Are you in Lynden, Washington State?  We probably have the highest population of Subarus here in the PNW.  There are 16 Legacys at the Arlington Pick N Pull right now.

im actually just across the border in canada. I couldn't find my area on here and lynden was closest.  At our pick n pull there is next to nothing, and the second any soobies come in they get raped instantly.

That sucks, what are the rules on bringing parts across the border?