Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Amazing and Forgiving GL that Seems To Heal Itself !

my 84 gl that I have owned for 12 years never ceases to amaze me. 10 years ago I put a net CAT on it and the mechanic told me I had a leaking headgasket. I was adding coolant for several years.

and then it stopped losing coolant.

blew a heater hose and lost all water and oil pressure for maybe 5 miles. not sure how long but had driven 10 miles and I was distracted by thoughts.

replaced heater hoses and oil and then it was fine once again.

every time I have it smogged the results astound the smog mechanic cause it burns so clean with 330,000 miles.

original motor, clutch , and tranny.

they just don't make em like they used too.

Yep.

These cars were from an era when quality and reliability actually meant something.

Modern cars are about bling - "features", computers, DVD players in the back seat, "OnStar", and airbags and antilock brakes to save us from ourselves and our crappy driving.

Car companies design everything on the edge now, squeaking every penny out of the mechanism until all that is left is just BARELY adequate to outlive the warranty. We are expected, as consumers, to buy a new car every 3-5 years, and in the meantime take our rides to the stealership for overpriced service if anything goes wrong. Engines are so complex now that you need thousands of dollars worth of specialy tools to even begin considering working on it yourself, for anything more than a simple oil change or tire swap.

The last modern car I looked under the hood of was so full of computerized boxes and sensors, it's a miracle anyone has the patience to unplug all that crap from the 3,000 sensors before attempting to pull the engine.

To hell with all that - give me an old, reliable, easy to fix mid-'80s boxy station wagon any day! Sometimes "progress" isn't.

Edited by BirdMobile
  • Like 3

Modern cars also have government mandated black boxes. An extension of the nanny state right in your car. Cash for clunkers was designed to get all the non-monitored vehicles off the road so you'd have no recourse but to get a nanny car. I ain't givin up my Loyale ever. From my cold dead hands...

LOL.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

My loyale has been a great car. First thing I noticed was that these older cars are more concerned about whats in front of a drivier than whats behind. I just don't get the new trucks with their giant mirrors and huge pillars blocking front views. I also have a Nissan Titan truck with the tow mirrors. I've damn near run several over in the crosswalk when they behind those mirrors and that pillar. Rant off. Loyale ON.

I get tired of guys at work saying "why don't you buy a new Subaru?" I'd rather fix mine and not have to deal with depreciation, high registration and insurance fees, computers, etc.

guys seeing me commute over 80 miles a day for 20 years convinced one driver to buy a new one about 5 years ago. then he referred 8 other drivers to buy new ones and he got a $100 referral bonus for each one.

I told him I should be able to share that bonus, ha ha.