Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy 2.5 GT limited

We have a shot at a 2005 Legacy 2.5 GT limited for 10K at the dealer where we bought our '93 Legacy. It's a gorgeous car, absolutely. I trust this guy which makes him the first used car guy I've ever trusted but when it comes to forking over 10K I have some reservations. What specifically should we look for/at to determine whether it would be a good deal or disaster in the making. We are still noobs when it comes to Subies so your input and opinions are very much appreciated. :)

What a buy that is to bad its cross country for me lol.

head gaskets, even though subaru said they corrected the problem after 2004, I believe, still reports of HG's after 2004

Check the fluids, they will tell you how the car is running. Like said above trans fluid.

I'd also look at the coolant, see if the reservoir is gunked up etc.

Look for any rigging, can't tell you how many people buy cars that are rigged together and get burned.

Imdew nailed the 3 big ones.

You know what the mileage is?

Edited by TKFlight

I have the equivalent Outback model with 200,000 miles on the original engine and turbo. It was a good year for these if the turbo didn't suffer from oil starvation due to a clogged banjo bolt screen.  To prevent this, Subaru updated the maintenance requirements: synthetic oil only, changed every 3.750 miles.  If that's been followed religiously, the turbo and engine are probably good.  Head gaskets aren't much of a concern with the turbo 2.5's.  Sooner or later you may experience a burned exhaust valve or two (maybe sooner if the 105K valve adjustment is skipped, or if low octane fuel has been used).  The first sign of this would be a recurring misfire code other cause (coil, plug, or injector).  These engines are much fussier about timely maintenance than the NA Subaru engines, so when you buy one you need to take that into account both as regards any previous owners, and for your future planning.