Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how long is to long for a tested pull AUTO transmission to sit before buying

`in my quest for a new transmission a friend told me a few horror stories about sitting on a shelf for to long, the little atf that is there drains away from rubber seals and they dry out only to be smashed to bits once the trans is installed...

my two options as it stands now are

option 1

$300 cash

30 day return

125k on trans before pull

sitting "about 2 years" in their warehouse

option 2

$438

90 day return

no recorded millage

sitting about 1 year in warehouse

Thanks in advance!

i can add to those "horror stories" - bought one for $500 - have no idea how long it had been sitting, had to drive 3-1/2 hours to go get it - had 30 day warranty...

by the time it was installed in the car and test driven all of about 3 miles before catastrophic failure it was 31 days out... I tired to get warranty on it, but they kept insisting the shop had to have done something wrong - so no warranty refund there.

the less time it has been sitting around the better, but short of that, get it installed and test driven thoroughly well within the warranty period.

It all depends on how its been stored. Anyone that knows what their doing will completely fill the transmission with fluid to the top.

Before you buy it inspect it, if it's been pulled already and stored it should be over full with fluid. If not I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

Still better if it hasn't sat for to long, and most of the time the warrenty from most junk yards are junk since they will just blame the installer %90 of the time

• Like 1

oh mush! so I'm likely going to opt for the 125k trans, I may go with the rancho cordova recycler but then its more money plus shipping so they better tell me they are going to do it right will find out tomorrow. the "tech" with the 125k trans said that they do "drain it but the fluid in the torque converter sloshes around as its carried" then they drain the "rest" of the fluid just before shipping... he also said that that he sells transmissions that have been sitting for 8-9 years and they work fine.

as for claiming I did something wrong per california law if a shop does something wrong you go to b.a.r otherwise the puller has to warranty the trans because they can't prove you or the installer did anything wrong. if they give you the run around go to the BBB and BAR and tell the installer you are they don't like government agencies sniffing around so sometimes it just takes letting a place of business know that you know your rights.

i can add to those "horror stories" - bought one for $500 - have no idea how long it had been sitting, had to drive 3-1/2 hours to go get it - had 30 day warranty...

by the time it was installed in the car and test driven all of about 3 miles before catastrophic failure it was 31 days out... I tired to get warranty on it, but they kept insisting the shop had to have done something wrong - so no warranty refund there.

the less time it has been sitting around the better, but short of that, get it installed and test driven thoroughly well within the warranty period.

One from an operable car regardless of miles is better than one that has been sitting. Low mile trans would be clue to this. Perhaps 150 and 200,000 mi trans is an option for around 300 bucks. Your 2nd option seems better if the price is right.

Doesn't seem like any compelling difference between the two, I'd opt for the cheaper one as well.

The warranty usually requires it be installed by a certified shop/mechanic.  if that's the case, there may be no warranty for a user installed transmission anyway.

Be careful about the cheapest one you find - it may be cheap for a specific reason.

option 4 WAS my first choice until they told me that they couldn't get it ready untill sometime next week...

so now I'm hoping I was not swindled into a 5+ year old shelf transmission! they told me it was about 2 years then after looking at the paperwork I see the "age" of the trans was 1943 if that's days then its 5.3 years old.... I'm going to call them in the morning and ask the fluid looked fresh but was leaking at the gasket maker pan seal like they cracked it and put fresh fluid in it before I got there... 

either way its going in tomorrow and in referance to the warranty I was very specific with them that I would be doing the job and that if it failed I would be counting on the warranty to get another one and they had no problem with that. that was in nevada and I had California dismantlers say the same thing