Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Forester : AWD swap to 4WD?

ty_kwon_dope

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Forester that I'm trying to turn into an off-road monster.I'm a newcomer in this area of expertise so any and all helpful info is welcomed. I'm having trouble finding information on the possibility of swapping my AWD for 4WD. Everything on my car is currently stock. Where do I begin as far as finding as suitable 4WD system to replace the stock one from Subaru, any suggestions?

Cheers!

Welcome to USMB! I thought you name looks familiar! I'm the owner of Anderson Design & Fabrication. We talked earlier today about your forester in Instagram!

But to answer you question, it has been done. But few do it because it is a fair amount of work. As far as which 4wd models work. Subaru discontinued there hi low range models in the 80's for US market subarus. So find an older EA dual range, use and EJ-EA addapter plate and swap it in.

Or....

Fork out the dough and import an EJ foredter dual range from Australia or Europe... But it'll set you back a couple k.

Is yours an 5 speed or auto?

Patrick

I'm not sure if it will work on your car in particular vehical, but there is a mod in here that uses a toggle switch to lock the center diff. when you don't want locked 4wd you can turn it off this is usfull since you can't drive down the highway in locked 4x4.

I believe all you have to do is inturupt the signal to the duty c cylinoid for this mod

That will only work if its an auto though. if its a stick you will have to weld the center diff and you won't be able to disengage it. Which is bad since you won't be able to drive far onroad like this

My forester currently has the 4EAT transmission so I think installing the switch for my duty C solenoid would be a good idea; I'm just not super handy with electronics so any insight into the installation of said switch would be great. Thanks for the info though gents! As far as swapping my awd for 4wd,  I will look into finding an old dual range 5 speed. This is my project car (used to be my daily) that I want to convert into an ultimate trail/mudding rig. I live way down here in the central valley of california where no one drives subarus let alone lifts them; makes me want to move up north!

Cheers!!! 

• Like 1

Personly I'd stick with your 4eat! And mod the duty C to lock up. The auto torque converter acts as a low range making it much better on hill climds and wheeling. haha. My FXT is an auto and it does wonder on the trains!

I'll see if I can find anything on the duty c mod. I've got one up here in Oregon that's getting it done soon. Large green foz.

Patrick

That's right, you showed me that build on instagram. Thing looks pretty beastly already. I think all I need is a switch that can be spliced into the solenoid wire, with another wire connecting the switch to a power source, right?   

No the switch just interupts the signal

Preference abounds but +1 to running the 4EAT too at least until it breaks and makes you swap it.  I use mine for practical reasons offroad, pulling a tractor out of the mud/pond, hunting, climbing to 10,000 ft elk camp, etc...i don't go looking for trails and wheeling so my uses are on the lighter side and i prefer auto's anyway so of course i'm going to say that.

the switch is really easy - imagine one wire to the Duty C. 
Cut it - and you're "locked".

reconnect and you're back to normal AWD.

so you just cut one wire and install a switch in between.  

• Like 1