Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interswapping EA81 and EA82 struts !

jono

So, I found new gas shocks with adjustable cradle for the spring, like my stock oil shocks. Cross ref on Rock Auto. You say the legacy springs will fit the top and bottom ea81 Strut Mounts, and the height will work? Interesting.  Don't want to go 5 lug and legacy knuckles. And yes, the  cv boots on my Brat are shot and the angle even stock is so so. My friend does an extra inch on the drivetrain drop so 2 inch body and 3 inch drop. That's if Patrick will build it that way. I'm hoping that he lowers the rear controls with blocks as well, and not just a diff plate. I want to keep the diff plate on the mustache bar.

I'm getting a 5 speed and dual EA82 drive shaft, so I'll need to lower that center mount too.  Don't have the bread to get a custom driveshaft made...  :/  Lastly, I followed a post on the 5 speed convert and hook up to the EA81.  You say do Ea82 throwout, fly, disc, and PP?  is that correct?

Thanks for all the great post  ... Thanks Gloyale.

So, I found new gas shocks with adjustable cradle for the spring, like my stock oil shocks. Cross ref on Rock Auto. You say the legacy springs will fit the top and bottom ea81 Strut Mounts, and the height will work? Interesting.  Don't want to go 5 lug and legacy knuckles. And yes, the  cv boots on my Brat are shot and the angle even stock is so so. My friend does an extra inch on the drivetrain drop so 2 inch body and 3 inch drop. That's if Patrick will build it that way. I'm hoping that he lowers the rear controls with blocks as well, and not just a diff plate. I want to keep the diff plate on the mustache bar.

I'm getting a 5 speed and dual EA82 drive shaft, so I'll need to lower that center mount too.  Don't have the bread to get a custom driveshaft made...  :/  Lastly, I followed a post on the 5 speed convert and hook up to the EA81.  You say do Ea82 throwout, fly, disc, and PP?  is that correct?

Thanks for all the great post  ... Thanks Gloyale.

EA82 clutch kit and flywheel will all work. You'll need to trim the bottom of the bellhop sing on the ea81 motor. You'll see when you try to fit the flywheel. And also need to transfer timing marks onto EA82 flywheel from the ea81 flywheel. That's what I've used on both of my ea81 to EA82 tranny combos.

and there is a difference between the flywheel to crankshaft bolts of EA81 and EA82 ain't there?? So...if you try bolting an EA82 flywheel to an EA81 crank- don't you have to use EA81 flywheel bolts with thinner shaft and get a non snug fitting of bolts in EA82 flywheel ?? This is what I have read anyway - could be wrong totally but no hurt checking one way or t'otheru

and there is a difference between the flywheel to crankshaft bolts of EA81 and EA82 ain't there?? So...if you try bolting an EA82 flywheel to an EA81 crank- don't you have to use EA81 flywheel bolts with thinner shaft and get a non snug fitting of bolts in EA82 flywheel ?? This is what I have read anyway - could be wrong totally but no hurt checking one way or t'otheru

I used EA82 bolts. I know this because the EA82 motor was toast so I swapped in the ea81, and just swapped everything from the EA82 onto the ea81.

I have heard the rumor that jono is referring to. I have also heard that the ea81 has two style flywheels (a thick one and a thinner one like the 82?)

Maybe the ea81 came in two flavors?  

When we do this later in April, I'll have some reporting. We have the ea82 5 speed / my ea81 engine and a blown 81 spare, several flywheels/clutches/etc. and both Bell housings. 

I'll hope to shed some additional light on it unless someone has an answer. My friend with the parts attempted this marriage two years ago but couldn't remember why he couldn't make it work, and gave up.

I hope it bolts up just like bratmans ..  

I love it when rumour does not reach the guy doin' the actual fiddlin ' :)

machthree2 - your friend may have had a 200mm flywheel instead of the 225mm flywheel off the EA81? With that combo I used a Nissan friction plate with just a 0.2mm difference in the spline shaft input shaft diameter so worked fine, just I used the EA82 clutch thow out on the EA81 200mm pressure plate finger springs - rode a little higher up on the fingers and should have added the longer throw EA82 pedal

Edited by jono

Good Stuff..  I may try the early manual legacy 6 spring clutch disc. What Nissan model disc did you use?

I know the intake manifolds exchange for the SPFI, but what else do I need to do to take the Hitachi carb off the EA81?

This thread is going all over,,,   Also, do you know what models of GL's and years have the same width cross member as the Brat, so I can start tracking down a power assist steering setup. Will put the rack on Phase 2 when I convert to the 2.2 ej, but wanted to put the new crossmember in when I do the 5 speed and Lift. I contemplating a 3 inch lift and 4 inch sub member drop. 

:)

cough * ! Did I say Nissan ?? Sorry ...it was actually a rebadged Isuzu sold as a GM Holden Gemini  1600cc petrol RWD and think it was found searching friction plate listings with the 200mm dia specs from the EA81 friction plate with regard to spline count to suit the EA82 4WD 5 speed friction plate 225mm spline count

• 3 years later...

Same car, different donor for strut mounts, same story ...mounts must have bent the same two or three mm difference on two points??

Only way I could resolve this query is with new tops to measure.

Sort of wonder why factory manuals suggest to mark tops orientation to tower before removing?

Maybe in case they are bent prior to removal?