Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone, I'm considering a used Outback Premium 2.5 around the 2012 model year versus a brand new 2015 model. I'm looking at a used model to save some money. Are there any known issues with the 2011-2013 model year Premium 2.5's that a potential buyer should take into consideration ?

Any opinions on going with a 2015 versus a 2012 to save money?

What would be a fair ballpark price for a 2012 premium 2.5i? KBB says between $18k and $20k.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

A little new for most of us on the USMB.  I consider a 99 a new Subaru and if I go into the 2000-2008 it's almost coming off the Dealers floor.  

You might consider a good 2000-2004 for under $5000 you can find a great used Subaru.

• Like 1

wayman,

I've owned one of each generation of OBW LTD's since 97. Everyone of them was a better car than the one before and they were all basically trouble free.

My present 2012 (H4, CVT) has 47 000 miles and runs like a clock.  There are a few things I don't like about this generation (2010 +) but they are minor. The lower plastic dash, door panels scratch very easily, as do the panels on the backs of the front seats. And the electronic parking brake system is for the birds. It works well, but its either all of the way one or off with no midway. And its motor is buried under the gastank. I'm sure it'll be a money pit to fix if it ever needs attention. But any of the common problems that you may have heard with the previous generations have all been addressed.

Your best approach to buying is to search the Auto Trader for a 2012 or 13 and let the first owner pay for the depreciation. Find the nicest one you can that screams "pride of ownership" and you'll know you got a good one. And then take care of it.

Good luck in your search.

wayman,

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on an extended warranty on a Subaru, Lexus, Toyota or a Honda. Save the cash, put it in the bank, and save it for that future brake job or a new set of tires.

Chances are you'll never need the extended warranty. Its mostly a cash grab for the dealership, but if it gives you peace of mind, then buy it.

wayman,

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on an extended warranty on a Subaru, Lexus, Toyota or a Honda. Save the cash, put it in the bank, and save it for that future brake job or a new set of tires.

Chances are you'll never need the extended warranty. Its mostly a cash grab for the dealership, but if it gives you peace of mind, then buy it.

+1.........same thoughts. Subarus seldom break requiring expensive repairs. I would not buy an extended warranty.

I don't like the exterior & interior looks of the 2010-2014. Had a 2015 Legacy loaner for a few days this winter. Much better. Touchscreen is nice. Fuel door is still a pain to get open when it's cold though. I'd wait a couple years for a used '15.