Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having trouble removing a rear driveshaft/propeller from AT/TC 2003 Impreza Auto

Good morning/afternoon respectively,

I'm trying to put on a drive shaft on a car that I purchased that was missing rear drive shaft. It is an automatic, so the PO left the the first joint coming off the spline on the car so that ATF wouldn't spill out and could be driven FWD. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove it despite having a 3000+ page manual lol.

Secondly, is there any way to use a WRX driveshaft from a manual transmission on an AT? I realize I can use a companion flange on the diff side, but what about the transmission side?

Thank you for reading and any suggestions or direction.

Weird, that yoke should just slide out. Somehow the PO secured it. Look for a pin or something. My understanding is the rear 1/2 of the driveshaft are all the same. It is the front 1/2 that changes depending on the type of transmission.

I've looked as best as I'm able, it has some forward back play and spins free, no signs of a pin. What bolts normally hold the shaft on the at end? If it didn't have something holding it there nobody would be able to remove the rear section of rear drive shaft without the front half from falling out, know what I mean? Thanks for the reply.

It should just slide out.

I suppose the previous owner could have RTV or glued it on.

The carrier bearing on the driveshaft holds the front section in place when the rear section is removed.

Definitely not or anything like that, it moves in and out about a 3/4" and definitively hits a metal stop or interference

Just slides on.  I had one that was trashed and had to be beat off.  

I'd put a come along back to the rear suspension and pull it off.  Tap the joint as needed.  I bet they put JB Weld or something on the shaft to keep it from falling off.