Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 loyale wagkn clutch fork question

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what is up with the clutch adjustment. I have never had a cable clutch before. Is the fork supposed to flop up and down and basically all over when you release the tension on the hill holder spring? I either get grinding gears or the rpm slows when i let out the clutch. I can shift it then but not very smooth and have to floor the pedal. I think it needs a new cable also(looks original with 225k miles and can use most of the threads) but the floppy fork has me confused. I did read how to adjust but this doesnt seem to want to do it.

Thanks in advance...

When there's no adjustment on the fork it will have slop from the point where the throw out bearing isn't touching the pressure plate and back.

Try adjusting the clutch with the hill holder disconnected completely. The further backed off the nut is, the closer to the floor the pedal engages. When you're at the point where it's grinding, but going in to gear, tighten the nut about 4 turns and you should be good.

• Like 1

Ah thank you, i messed with it earlier today. Just got back from the store and i guess i did not adjust the holder right, it held on a hill and did not release. Locked up brakes, i didnt know whats was up at first. Then figured i must have miss adjusted the holder. Pulled over and luckily i did not tighten the clutch locknut. Unscrewed the hillholder nut and quick adj of clutch and it never felt better. I will fine tune it tomorrow. I think i will get rid of the hill holder. I want car as simple as possible.

This here laptop won't let me quote a reply, or link a Thread.

But,, if you dig back thru the Threads on here looking for one Titled, "Brakes won't let me pull out of the parking lot" started by LovemyGLWagon on 01-Jan-2015, I posted proper clutch/HH adjustments straight from the FSM.

I too, just remove the HH from the system. One less hassle to deal with.

If that is the original cable you should probably consider getting a new OEM one. When I took out my old one it had 161,000 miles on it and the previous owner never replaced it. I replaced that one with a Pioneer aftermarket cable that snapped after 3,000 miles and was really stiff. I now have an OEM subaru cable and my clutch is softer than a babys bottom, and my shifting is incredibly smooth!

• Like 1