Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No power to glove box lamp or cig lighter, a red 18G wire connected to lamp and runs to cover switch, Haven't been able to find wiring diagram that shows this wire. Guessing it gets back to fuse block some how or there is a pluggable connector somewhere. Clock only works in run, but that is probably a clock problem

No power to glove box lamp or cig lighter, a red 18G wire connected to lamp and runs to cover switch, Haven't been able to find wiring diagram that shows this wire. Guessing it gets back to fuse block some how or there is a pluggable connector somewhere. Clock only works in run, but that is probably a clock problem

I believe the glove box lamp gets it power from the head light switch and the door switch controls its ground (it will only work when the dash is lit up). Cig lighter only hot in accy or run, and clock only in run.

Edited by ihscout54

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/thegreatsubarubratclub/info

If you go to the link and click on files at the top of the page, you'll find downloadable files of the '83 FSM.

They are a .rar file, I can't open them myself, don't have proper program.

Wiring didn't change much, so it should help you out.

edit;

YEA!! It worked... Laptop would not let me do links. This here tower does..

I be Happy now...

Edited by TomRhere

Don't have dash lights only the red indicators no lights on speedo and tach. Think I found the relays behind panel next to fuses. Any where there is a wiring diagram of these relays?

There Is only one relay for the lighting (stock) that i remember. It controls + for the system and is triggered by the ign switch.

The most common reason for no panel lights (especially if the park lights work) is the dimmer knob on the very end of the switch. Might need to fiddle with it and see if lights return. This will have no bearing on your glove box tho. This pot varies the ground to the panel lights only (dimmer). So my previous post was slightly misleading, the glovebox light can be on with the panal lights off.

That new FSM should help out alot.

Well the dash lights now work after spraying the dimmer switch, thanks for hint.  Now I have found a bad fuse in spot labeled rad/fan. replacing this fuse brings the glove box lamp to life, but the aftermarket feul pump runs contistantly. The radio which I think should only be on with iginition in run or acc works with no key in ignition. The ignition switch has been changed by previous owner. Tried my darndest to interpret the referanced wiring diagrams to no avail. None are for 85 brat that I've found. Another thing the rad/fan fuse is hot with key out. Who would of thought the glove box lamp would to lead to all this.

I have bits and pieces of the FSM, but the fuse for the radiator fan also powers the radio and cigarette lighter.

If a previous owner has hacked the wiring on yours, you ae kind of one your own in figuring it all out. No one on here knows what was done.

The link to the FSM I posted will help you troubleshoot the wiring, it really didn't change much over the years the BRATs were built, really any EA81 bodied vehicle for that matter.

I sent bushy555 that FSM posted on the above linked site, he found the missing portions and filled it in. It's just I,, can't access what he posted, as I don't have the proper program to do so.

I have used what portions I have of the Electrical Section to fix issues with my '85 and my '86 BRATs.