Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the difference between the Legacy Outback, the Legacy Wagon, and the Outback?

I am looking for an Outback on Craigslist and I keep seeing things like Subaru Legacy Outback, or Subaru Legacy Wagon, or just Subaru Outback. I tried to find out what the difference was on google and found that the Outback has more ground clearance than the Legacy, which is a good thing for me, but how can I tell if an Outback is an Outback or a Legacy Outback?

A subaru outback, or legacy outback is the same thing. The biggest difference between a regular legacy and an outback is the outback is lifted from the factory. Also, all outback with exception of the 96 5 spd came with the 2.5 motor. Most regular legacy's came with a 2.2 motor. Outback also have a 2 tone paint job, or the newer ones have 2 tone because of trim. Regular legacy's are a solid color.

There is also an impreza outback sport. But they are based on the impreza platform and they don't sit any higher.

Edited by bratman18