Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo issues

So not sure how many people were following my other post but I had to jimmy rig an air filter setup which isn't the problem it just caused what I think the problem is...so there is a sensor (i believe) on top of the AC lines and such attached to the passenger side strut tower with a vacuum line hooked up to it with a wire connection down below it...my problem is while trying to get my jimmy rigged setup to get into position so the hood would close the small piece of plastic that the vacuum hose slides onto snapped off into the hose...I'm just going on a haunch but does that sensor communicate to the ECU telling it what the boost pressure is? allowing the system to send vacuum to the wastegate and allow it to properly work? because before just sitting in the driveway I would be able to throttle it up hard and let off and watch the wastegate function and now nothing...also when it is boosting down it also sounds like the air is being forced to exhaust through the turbo because it sounds like a flutter almost...I would love if someone could give me more info...as I'm not too familiar with this whole turbo thing...anyway thanks once again!

EDIT: vehicle is a 1988 GL-10 EA82T with all the options but a non-digi dash

Edited by MuddyThunder

If it does that it probably is the boost sensor for the ecu. You can run the wastegate hose straight to the Turbo compressor for now so the wastegate will still work. What the flutter you are hearing is turbo flutter, your wastegate isn't opening so it's over boosting and you have more boost in the intake than normal causing the air to push backwards against the compressor wheel when the throttle snaps shut. That's not good for the turbo. That's why most cars have a blow off valve or bypass valve to release boost pressure. Is don't think the ea82 had a bypass valve although I could be wrong. the wastegate only has a 7lb spring so it's not very much boost. But I've had my car spike to 10 psi before I fixed it. Try and find the part in a junkyard or jb weld the nipple back on it.

• Like 1