Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car sounds like it is blowing through a straw

So I replaced the transmissions modulator that was taost and was sucking up transmission fluid through it. But I still have a problem, when i turn on my car it is ok then when i drive it, it sounds like it is blowing through a straw ( the sound, sounds like it comes from over by the raidator) and it shifts early, and will not let me go more than 25 mph or so like there is a lot of back pressure somewhere. also although i cannot find it there is a leak somewhere involving the raidator but it is not big and is it leaking on the drivers side somewhere. I have filled my raidator with water and water is what is leaking. I have no idea what is going on but i have fixed one thing but now there is another. my car is a ea 82 3at 3 door coupe/hatchback.

ViceMan

Well, if it was sounding like blowing through a straw before this repair, and you're having shift problems and were before the repair, I'd say you've got a plugged CAT.  Creates back pressure in the cylinders and reduces the amount of air being pulled in by the engine thus reducing the vacuum to your modulator. If not.... Got me! lol

• Like 1

I had a cat fail - the ceramic part broke loose, and plugged the exit port.  The car got really sluggish, no power, sounded wrong.   You can try loosening the y pipe bolts.  You want a good gap between the flange and the heads for this.  It will be loud, but if the power is back, you know the exhaust is blocked.

Edited by DaveT
  • Like 1

I will try lossening the y pipe and see what happens. on the coolent leak there is a small puddle under the car on the drivers side just under the edge on that side of the raidator. but i did hear some stuff from the over fill tank so maybe its just more than that can handle so it is leaking from there? i have had that happen before.

ViceMan

The only reason I've seen coolant or bubbles overflowing the recovery tank is blown head gasket.

Check for leaking of water pump seals, and the online ring and the short 1/2" 90 degree bend hose that is above the pump. In case you or someone new seeing this, there are 7 coolant hoses on an ea82. If you replace 1 due to age or failure, you should replace them all.