Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought an '05 Baja and I haven't had a chance to go through it yet with a fine tooth comb to make sure all the fluids are at proper levels. (That's this Saturday.) When I first took it for the test drive it didn't have noise, but when I picked it up from the dealer it was there is now a whining in the back of the car when slowing down. The dealer said only thing he had done was new tires and new brake pads all around to pass inspection.

The noise gets louder when I put on the brakes, but the pitch doesn't change. It sounds almost like a turbine engine powering down, not like brake grinding or road noise. I've heard that whenever the tires are replaced an alignment needs to be done to prevent damage to the rear diff, could this possibly be the source of the noise? I haven't tried putting in the fuse to turn off the AWD, but that'll be my next test if need be.

Did they replace the tires AFTER your initial test drive? If yes, I would suspect the tires. What brand and model are the new tires? You can search for reviews of them on google or one of the many tire sites and see if other people complain of noise associated with that tire.

Alignment has no affect on differentials.

Mismatched tire sizes will have an affect on the differential, but any damage done typically takes thousands of miles unless there is a huge difference in size.

Yes, the tires were replaced after the initial test drive. I'll look them up to check reviews re: road noise. But wouldn't that also occur in the front of the car as well? I'm only hearing this in the back end of the car.

The other reason I'm not suspecting the tires is because it occurs on both the asphalt road as well as my gravel driveway. (Very low pitch when in reverse, but still evident.)

Thank you for confirmation regarding the alignment, that takes a lot off my mind. Still have to check the fluid levels this weekend though.

Yes, all 4 tires replaced with new. All same brand, model & size. I'm having an alignment done tonight on the car, i'll ask them to rotate the tires front to back and see if that helps. I'm also going to check the rear diff fluid levels while they've got it on the lift.

I'll have to try that and let you know.

I had an alignment done this weekend, it needed one anyway, but no change after. The shop was closing and didn't have time to rotate the tires front to back, but they did suggest that it could be the new brake pads settling into the old rotors that were left on when the dealer had the brakes changed.

Figures the dealer would just pad slap... A possibility, especially with grooved/unsurfaced rotors.

EDIT: OR the dealer went to town on the rear hubs/rotors to get them off and has damaged a wheel bearing. The hard left/right test doesn't work quite well with rear bearings.

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge