Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5 dohc swap with 99 2.2 sohc

Will a 98 2,5 EJ25 DOHC go into a 99 Legacy Sedan presently with a blown 2,2 SOHC, I have a totaled out Forester donor vehicle with the 2.5 I did the head gaskets, timing belt/water pump and clutch on with less than 5K since the head gasket job. I have the ECM computer for the 2.5. Both cars are 5 speed manual. 

Everything said above is wrong. Every bit of it. The 99 ej22 is a phase 2 engine and electronically incompatible with a phase 1 car. If you want to make a hybrid build use the ej222 heads in the ej25d shortblock. But this WILL NOT be a high compression build, phase 2 ej222 heads have 50cc combustion chambers. The 97-99 ej25d heads are ~47cc, so you will lose some compression ratio.

Also bolting ej25d heads onto the phase 2 ej222 WILL NOT be a good candidate for boosting. The end compression ratio is 10.4:1. This is due to the redesigned pistons for the phase 2 shortblock.

the 2.5 donor engine overheated and the head gasket on one side was bad, I had the heads planed and used Felpro blue viton head gaskets (their newest gasket at the time) I followed the somewhat complex head torquing procedure and hoped for the best, I replaced timing belt, water pump and the radiator (which was the culprit due to a leak), now as it sits totaled out in my driveway (they're a little top heavy I guess) I can say 6k miles and it ran great with no leaks and the temp gauge always right in the middle and no knocking it seems as though if it was to fail it would have by now and the 99 Legacy with leather seats and 150K miles for sale with the blown engine may possibly be gotten for around $400, i'm going to make an offer of $350. I also have a 00 Impreza wagon with the 2.2 SOHC and can see why it is so well liked. In my limited engine knowledge (mostly Triumph air cooled push rod twins) it seems to me the opposed 4 cylinder is the perfect engine design, seemingly perfectly balanced with a power pulse every 180 degrees, When I did the engine work on the 2,5 I thought wow, what a well designed engine and it seemed substantially stout, after doing some reading on the forum and seeing cars with the 2.5 for sale with blown heads was a disappointment