Ultimate Subaru Message Board

junkyard lsd score!!!

well, i got lucky today.

i had stripped down a 87 gl wagon. got all the parts from it and was hauling off the rusted out hulk to the closest junkyard to my house, about 30 miles away.

i got to the yard and went to the counter. told them i had a scrap car for them. "o.k the counter guy says, walk out back, go up the hill and look for mike in the loader" he says.

i was surprised cause this is one of those yards where you cant go in the yard or pull your own parts, kind of a "late model" yard where they crush all the older cars. this yard has not had any 80's soob parts whenever i have checked in the last three years.

so i head out back up the hill, get to a group of workers and ask for mike. they point farther up the hill and if i listen i can faintly hear a loader in the distance.

walk a little farther and happen to glance to my left, there sits a white, soob rx that says "turbo' on the side. i remember reading on the board that these things have lsd diffs in them so i ran over and crawled underneath.

there was the tag covered with scum. i scrapped with my fingernails... yes LSD!!!

there are very few soobs around this neck off the woods so i had given up a while ago on ever seeing one of these.

to make a long story a little shorter, i got the diff. for 50 bucks. and they pulled it for me within about 20 minutes.

i have a 87 5spd dual range lifted wagon that i built last fall so i have a home for it.

just had to tell you all. thanks for listening.

also, the car had a 5spd, dual range, tranny with a diff lock.

is there anyone out there that would be interested in the tranny? the car had 135k on it. i did not check it out that close as it was closing time at the yard but i think i could get the tranny for $100 or so, not sure but i could look into it on monday if anyone is interested.

im not looking to make any money on the tranny or anything. i would just want to do someone a favor if they are hard to find. there are many people that have done me favors or gave me info on this board so maybe i can return the favor. car is in northwest wisconsin, kinda by the city of "superior"

Did that car have all of the side skirts and stuff? if so, i am very interested in them. There should be a skirt on each side, front and rear....

let me know what you find out on it...like price and condition and stuff...thanks

Great snag, but remember, your dual range has a 3.90 ratio, the LSD rear diff has a 3.70 ratio. So unless you swap out the carrier in the 3.90 rear diff with the carrier in the LSD rear diff, you need the tranny that was in the car you got the LSD from.

yea, thanks for the reminder, dr. rx. i got a bunch of 3.9 open diffs laying around so i was planning on doing the gear swap. probably will not get around to it till fall, then im sure i will have some ?s to ask of you guys...

harpua- i remember reading on the board the kind of things people are looking for off these cars, one of the first things i looked at was the skirts and as far as i remember, i think they are all kind of broke and beat up.

where i live in wisconsin, the roads are real rough and the winters are long and harsh. cars get really beat up. this car was pretty rusty and the interior was rough. the running gear seemed to be o.k. though. and all the shifter parts are there. thats why i posted about the tranny.

i go by this junkyard everyday on the way home from work so i will double check on the parts you are looking for just to be sure. i will post on tuesday to let you know if any of the parts are good. i looked at the car kind of quickly so i will make sure they are bad.