Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long shot but...where to buy EA82 heater core in New Zealand/Aus?

I know there's a few NZ guys floating around on these forums so decided to give it a shot.

My heater core in my 88' EA82 wagon is completely shot and I need a new one.

I had a replacement priced ex-Australia through a local radiator shop at $440 + tax and that is just too expensive for me.

Anyone have a good source for heater core replacements? Don't mind paying for shipping if it's a decent price for the core.

You are not going to get one cheaper. see

http://nationwideautoparts.com.au/front_end/index.php?view=Search 

I've had a number of radiators from Nationwide and they offer good service.

Unless you can get yours redone.

Wow, you might be right. More than half what I paid for the bloody car! Ahwel, might just have to bite the bullet and get one..dammit.

wanna risk it with a used one? I have one or two to choose from ......none come with any warranty though

Cheers, PM'd

I'd run with a 2nd hand one also. There are the occasional failure, but the newest L series in now 20 years old.

Don't know if Aus ones would be in better condition now because of our warmer, dryer climate.

That's a good point - it's a bit colder down here so they may fail due to a tougher life.

We still have problems with the rubber hoses on the back of the core failing. Stupid RHD design, the LHD version has the pipes attached as one piece all the way out of the firewall....

Unlike the pre 85 models, these cores always have the coolant running through them, there is no tap. It's only the internal flaps that stop the air flowing through it or not.