Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECS Canister Delete.. Yay, or nay?

So this is kinda one of those questions that has an answer that is either a really obvious "yes"or a resounding "NO"...

Can I delete my ECS canister without experiencing ill effects to my now happy hitachi? I'm a good 90% sure that the canister doesn't work anyway, but then again maybe it has some hidden benefit that it has been giving my engine? 

So what do you guys think?

If your talking about the purge/evap canister it can go away, but Ide keep it. It will have no bearing on a properly fuctioning system. It does have a few lines going to it, creating clutter but only one of them can truly be removed by using a different fuel filter. You should keep the hoses for the bowl vent, tank vent, purge line and tuned purge control.

Recent thread for fun.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/152659-weber-conversions-what-are-people-using-as-a-filter-for-their-fuel-tank-vent-line/?hl=%2Bford+%2Bfuel+%2Bfilter&do=findComment&comment=1278536

• Like 1

It catches gasoline vapors that would escape into the air.  If the system is working, those vapors are sucked into the intake, and help power the engine.  Yeah, its only a tiny amount, but why throw it (the fuel) away?

It catches gasoline vapors that would escape into the air.  If the system is working, those vapors are sucked into the intake, and help power the engine.  Yeah, its only a tiny amount, but why throw it (the fuel) away?

Ya I know what it does... But is there a way to know if the canister is working if my ECS light on my dash never comes on? The previous owner did a lot of electrical stuff and I think he disabled either the whole ECS system, or just the light because it never comes on. 

Your car is non feedback, it won't have a bulb for the ecs light, hence you will never see it come on. The canister has nothing to do with the light, there is no control or test method in the evap system that could set any light. Not a whole lot to go wrong with them anyways. Thats why I always keep them especially with the stock hitachi system.