Ultimate Subaru Message Board

140K mi. I have put on all but 36K. Most torque bind posts say it occures when warm and goes away when cold. Mine goes away when warmed up. I commute 70 mi. to work. I start out in the morning with binding even moving straight. Once I get 3 - 4 miles it clears up. I tried the fuse. The light on the dash lights but the torque bind dosen't change. I read that if the light on the dash lights the duty C coil is ok. Is that correct. Can clutches stick? I changed 4 qt of trans fluid and added Sea Foam. If it was grooves as I have read somewhere It shouldn't go away warm. With the kind of miles I put on I'm willing to fix the problem but I'm not sure what to look for. Ideas?

u-joint, carrier bearing also possible culprits.

when you read of binding being worse when warm, those are usually the 5 spd transmissions. Cneter diff in them is a lot different than the wet clutch pack in the auto - and they have no FWD fuse.

But, pretty sure a 94 has the 'bad' aluminum sleeve problem that cause the clutch plates to bind. and, I'm not certain how it might behave with temp.  Could need a tail-shaft rebuild or, maybe someone knows if a newer style trans will swap in?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Axles were replaced due to occational clunking noise during turns. They didn't cure it by the way. The clunking noise is also worse when cold.  I also replaced front wheel bearings. It is definitely a binding problem when cold. I have not done anything with the front differential. You think it's worth changing the differential oil? I remember when GM had an additive for posi rear ends that worked wonders. Is there a similar additive from Subaru?  Is the duty C and clutch pack in differential fluid or in trans fluid? 

I suppose I'm putting of the inevitable. I don't want to spend the time pulling the engine / tranny assembly. I have to do it on the floor (no lift).

You really need to pin-down where the problem is. maybe get a soob-experienced mechanic to test drive it?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/27878-4eat-tail-section-rebuild-without-removing-transmission.html

the solenoid and clutches are in trans fluid. The drive part can become grooved and the clutches can bind-up. Also, i have read that after about n97 1/2 , the valve was changed.

maybe a tailshaft from a 98 or newer in the junkyard would fix your car?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I've been under and looked at the carrier. It seems ok just rotating and pushing it around. The bad aluminum sleeve might be a possibility and could also explain the clunking sound I sometimes have. It also is temp related. I replaced axles and wheel bearings trying to stop that with out luck.