Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I wrote the original Trans-X post back in 2008. Trans-X's claim to fame is that it corrects the tranny delayed forward engagement problem affecting only 1999 and 2000 model year Legacys. Uncertain, what therapeutic effect it will give your 97. What problem(s) are you having with your tranny??

To give it a try, recommend you drain and fill your auto tranny 3 times, with short drives between fills. This uses a lot of tranny fluid, but since only half of the tranny fluid can be drained at one time, (the other half remains in the torque converter). So, this is a good way to finish with good clean tranny fluid. After the last fill, add one 15 oz container of Trans-X. I use Walmart ATF, Dextron formula, and it seems to work just fine.

Hope it helps, but please post what problem you are having with your auto tranny.

Edited by Rooster2

The fix is dependent on the issue. What's wrong with the transmission?

TransX fixes the 99 and 2000 delayed forward engagement issue. Not useful for much else in subarus. Lucas is about the best band aid for slippage but not generally a permanent fix.

Most of the time if a trans is just being "goofy" clunking/hard shifts or bouncing between gears/not engaging/trying multiple times before engaging, the first step is changing the fluid as described.

• Like 1

In the 99 and 00 4EAT (which I assume is a Phase 1 and a Phase 2?), were not the forward-engagement delay issues caused by the shrinking of a few of the "lathe-cut seals" for the direct drum? The Trans-X effectively swells those seals and prevents the fluid pressure from bleeding/bypassing causing the fix of the delayed engagement.

I've used it on the a few of the older 4EATs (94 and 96) and it works. To be clear, it doesn't fix torque bind (caused by burnt/stuck transfer clutches) and won't fix the shuddering/dead reverse, but it does get rid of the 2+ second engagement.