Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Power Window Switch Q

Subaru Brethren,

I'll try to be brief.

86 Wagon, bought as junk for parts (100K miles,) discovered broken timing belt was the only thing keeping it from running and driving (2wd 3AT blah.) Runs like a top, drives decent enough for what it is. 

Previous owner, in the course of their destructive rampage, took the drivers side master switch apart, and misplaced the buttons (some of the wires are loose on the back also.)

Question: I suspect without the master switch, none of the windows will work due to the child lock not being there, is there a way to jump it out to test the windows? I don't want to invest any more money into it if the motors are shot or some other weirdness pops up. The fact they had the switch apart is indicative of something (could have been the switch.) 

Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Dan

The contacts in the switch get dirty over time. They simply need to be cleaned with an eraser...

You're correct, none of the other switch will work without the master switch. It's nothing to do with the child lock, but how the circuit operates.

I would suggest pulling the door trims off, unplugging the window motors & connecting them to a battery directly to test if they work.

After that, get a replacement master switch from the wreckers. You don't need to match the colour if you've still got the surround.

Let.me know if you just want a good used switch.

If you have an extra you are willing to part with, I would love to have it. We get these in the junk yard once every two years or so.

Wagonist: thank you for the confirmation and advice.

Dan

If you have an extra you are willing to part with, I would love to have it. We get these in the junk yard once every two years or so.

Wagonist: thank you for the confirmation and advice.

Dan

Yeah I should have one kicking around. I know I have one in my parts car. Shoot me a private message.
  • Like 1