Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reasonable engine replacement charges

I checked with a used Subaru parts supplier in the state on 2.2 replacement engines and they said they are currently getting $750 for 2.2 engines that have been thoroughly checked out with a warranty and around 175K miles; no dice on 2.5 engines of 2000 or so;  installation charges varied from $500 to $1000; what are reasonable charges on good engines and installation?

About 5 years ago, I bought a '95, 2.2 motor with about 150K on the odo for $400. I knew the guys at the yard, and knew they had a good reputation of not selling junk. I was fortunate to get a good motor, that runs well even to this day.

Update this summer, when I had a V-6 motor installed into a Hyundai Sonata for $700. It was a small one man shop with 2 young helpers in a down scale neighborhood. Having a motor installed at a large shop in an upscale part of town will cost substantially more.

With a Subie motor installed to an auto transmission, it is very important that the installer knows how to "seat" the engine properly to the tranny. Failure to do it correctly results in a damaged tranny.

• Like 1

few really know subarus. An engine swap by the book should be less than 5hrs labor. I can't remember but 3hrs flat rate?.. This is about $300 but a Subaru shop can charge what he wants because few really know how easy they really are. A shop willing without a clue may take a day, that would be $1k

With a fair number of cracked up cars with intact engines and cars in good condition with blown engines, and you have the will to make one out of two.  Southend auto in northern Vermont did the 2.2 into my previous 2.5 Outback in a day for around $1500 with engine mileage of 75K.  

few really know subarus. An engine swap by the book should be less than 5hrs labor. I can't remember but 3hrs flat rate?.. This is about $300 but a Subaru shop can charge what he wants because few really know how easy they really are. A shop willing without a clue may take a day, that would be $1k

"By The Book" a Complete Motor Swap (not a JDM, etc... where you are swapping bits and pieces) is what I posted above.  I didn't say it couldn't be done faster, but a lot of shops go by book rate.

6 Hours is basically taking a junkyard engine that is "complete" and matches to the year (i.e. no sensors to swap, etc...) and installing it.

For an R&R where you are swapping over intake, sensors, etc... it's rated at 10.9 hours.

I know for fact I can do one myself in under 5, but book time accounts for the possibility of problems especially in the rust belt.

Info is from Alldata Book Rates which are provided by Subaru actually.

Edited by lstevens76

$500. is the cheapest you can expect a shop to do it and anything under $1000 is reasonable given the prices of shop labor nowadays. If you can find a set of helping hands or two that are somewhat mechanical and bribe them with pizza and beverages etc. (Bartering is the way to go.) it's a one day job for a do it your selfer.

A few 2x4s and some metal castor wheels with a come along make a great cherry picker. Seen engines hoisted out of cars off of tree branches too.

It's not a bad job. If you can find a space to work on it for a day, I can give you a few tips to make the whole thing go smooth. I've got the job down to about 4 hours solo for a removal and reinstall.

Add an hour for a timing belt kit or two for head gaskets on a SOHC motor.