Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 outback 2.5 sohc engine is toast

A 2000-2004 EJ22 will fit if you get the single port exhaust y pipe and you keep the EJ25 intake manifold.

You'll have more options looking for a late 99-2004 EJ25. Or get a JDM EJ20 SOHC. it's only 10hp less than the EJ25 and you can get one with under 60,000 miles for $800 if you shop around. They are also dual port exhaust. Found one locally here in CA in oakland for $650. Just swap intake manifold and drivers side cam and crank pulleys

With any motor you swap in there, keep the drivers side cam and crank pulleys as these varied from year to year and model to model and the marks on the back need to match the engine computer.

These SOHC motors are easy though. I have motor swaps down to about 5 hours for remove and reinstall

I should also add that there is no advantage to the EJ22 for phase 2 motors (99 and up) Pre 99 the EJ22 was a far more reliable motor. 2000 and on it was no more or less reliable. Both the EJ22 and EJ25 motors were far more reliable than the Phase 1 DOHC ej25 but a bit less reliable than the phase 1 ej22

See I have a 93 2.2L all rebuilt is it plausable to put that in that 03 Outback without switching the whole engine wiring harness just by switching intakes tricking the car to think it's still a 2.5 do you see where I'm going with this?

See I have a 93 2.2L all rebuilt is it plausable to put that in that 03 Outback without switching the whole engine wiring harness just by switching intakes tricking the car to think it's still a 2.5 do you see where I'm going with this?

Short answer: no.

No. Quite different. The possibility exists to make an adapter between phase 1 and phase 2 intake manifolds. I believe the sensors are all the same so if there were a way to physically bolt your phase 2 manifold onto the phase 1 long block, it should run. But thats many hours of machining and time=$$$ so the easier route is to find a phase 2 motor and drop it in.

actually there is a way to make that ej22 engine run in the 03,

but it will always have one or two trouble codes.

and some states will keep the car off the road if it has trouble codes or emissions issues.

and for the cost of a good used ej25,

not worth the trouble.

http://www.car-part.com

sort by zip code.

but in short,

you use the cam and crank sprockets off of the original engine,

as well as the intake wiring harness,

and you bolt the throttle body from the ej25 on to the ej22 intake.

i do not remember what does not connect ,

but something does.

you will not be doing her a favor if you do this odd ball swap.

selling a car with trouble codes is difficult,

even if you lie.

Edited by johnceggleston

Not selling the car and as for any emissions check we have none of those where I live and the check engine light is the least of her worries as long as I can make the car run and drive function properly and get decent fuel economy still by all means I'm going for it thanks for all the input is helpful how do you say I know where to start looking

If your profile is right and your in Washington you should read this:

http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#3

Washington requires emissions testing on a car that new at time of sale or when the tags are renewed.

Your county may not be one yet, but that is constantly changing.  And you have to factor in that it would be very easy for someone from a nearby county to purchase it later that does require emmissions.

You have to remember that swap is a "LONG TERM" thing and if in a year or two you want to sell the car to upgrade or whatever.......................

Edited by lstevens76

If your profile is right and your in Washington you should read this:

http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#3

Washington requires emissions testing on a car that new at time of sale or when the tags are renewed.

Your county may not be one yet, but that is constantly changing.  And you have to factor in that it would be very easy for someone from a nearby county to purchase it later that does require emmissions.

You have to remember that swap is a "LONG TERM" thing and if in a year or two you want to sell the car to upgrade or whatever.......................

I appreciate it but if I can make it run I kind of have to. limited on cash I work with what I got and I'm not to worried about the emissions as the county I live in is a farm County and will never have emissions at least as long as I'll be alive. I preciate all the input you guys have been helpful I can make this car run with the first gen legacy 2.2 liter and if I know my cars good enough I should be able to make the check engine light go bye bye bye and do it the right way

• Like 1

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ptd/5217405339.html

Considering that car is worth $3k+ up there it might be worth the time looking for something like I linked above.  If you can get a running EJ25 for it and swap it the car is going to be better off in the long run.

Ya most definitely your right about that I just need it to run now tell I find a replacement engine that is in my budget

There's only one way to make the 93 2.2 work in that car. That's to bolt the 2.5 heads on the 2.2 block.

You have to use the 2.5 manifold and electronics.The idle control and ignition control are totally different and there's no way to rig them to work.

You can use a 99-01 2.2 from an Impreza or a 2000-01 2.2 from a Legacy. Either of those will bolt right in with the exception of having to swap the crankshaft and drivers side camshaft sprockets.

There's only one way to make the 93 2.2 work in that car. That's to bolt the 2.5 heads on the 2.2 block.

You have to use the 2.5 manifold and electronics.The idle control and ignition control are totally different and there's no way to rig them to work.

You can use a 99-01 2.2 from an Impreza or a 2000-01 2.2 from a Legacy. Either of those will bolt right in with the exception of having to swap the crankshaft and drivers side camshaft sprockets.

So if I were to put the 2.5 heads on a 2.2 blocked which head gaskets should I use? As I often wondered if I could go that direction considering everybody's done the 2.5 block with 2.2 heads

A 2.5 Block + 2.2 Heads = More compression, torque, and HP.

A 2.2 Block + 2.5 Heads = less compression, torque, and HP.  

The first is the common frankenmotor for NA builds.  The second has been used for Turbo Builds as the lower compression supports boost where the higher compression one has a lot more risk when boosting and isn't advised due to the compression.

Have you thought about just replacing the bearings?  Around $100 for a full set.

people have also installed the Phase II (2003) wiring harness onto a 95-99 era Subaru intake manifolds. 

Since all 1990-1998 EJ22 intake manifolds will physically bolt to each others engines - this might be the simple work around to get a movable vehicle.

There are MAF/MAP differences, and the idle is flaky/needs help, and you may get a check engine light, but it will run fine.

I think they say you bolt the Phase II throttle body to the Phase I intake manifold.

Then install the Phase II wiring harness onto the Phase I intake manifold.

Gloyale did it and someone else has as well.

Then it's "plug and play" with some issues to work around and probably a check engine light. 

You can find his previous posts about it on here with some searching.

Okay now I'm just getting confused some of you guys have said it's pretty much impossible the others say different repairing the bottom end of this engine is highly unlikely because it was ran out of oil so my biggest question would be I know I lose compression horsepower torque if I put the 2.2 to block with a 2.5 heads i want to know is which head gaskets should I use????¿¿

Okay now I'm just getting confused some of you guys have said it's pretty much impossible the others say different repairing the bottom end of this engine is highly unlikely because it was ran out of oil so my biggest question would be I know I lose compression horsepower torque if I put the 2.2 to block with a 2.5 heads i want to know is which head gaskets should I use????¿¿

Running a car out of oil and it still runs means the bearings are roasted and the crank will need turned or replaced.  It does not mean it's not repairable.

Even a seized engine can be repaired, just a lot more difficult.  

As for what people are saying is that it is going to be difficult and improbable to get that engine to work, but not impossible.

Basically it's going to be easier to fix this engine or find a replacement short block.

i have read that the gasket has to match the block,

but i'm not sure.

just so you know, have all the info before you start,

you can also use a 96 - 04 ej25 block,

double or single cam.

i know you have said money is the issue,

so you have to use the ej22 block.

but regardless of what block / engine you use,

you are going to spend several hundred getting this right.

and it is going to take some time.

and what if you can't get it right?

can't get it back on the road?

then what?

there are a ton of other good and not expensive options.

please study this before you start.

i would look for a 00 - 04 ej25 engine with a bad timing belt, bent valves.

swap on her heads and off you go.

the only extra cost is the block.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...