Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well, I've had a 2014 Fusion for 3 months and due to its short Comings and possible fraud ( possibly was given a previously wrecked model as a Bait and switch ) I.might be able to get out of.. I also hate it.

local used subie dealer has a 2004 Forrester xs 5spd with 156k. His policy is 12 month 12k and he wont sell an extended warranty. He does head gaskets and timing belt on every car he sells. Plus everything else he finds and new tires all around... He's offering me this car at around $5,500. It wont be over $6k. He doesn't expect it to need much so closer to $5,500. I did first test drive and its amazing. Not as amazing as my girlfriends 04 wrx but... Well she does not let me drive that anyway lol.. I test drive again once it has been 100% gone thru and either yay or nay it and we agree on a price

Well I mean there's always the risk or unknown unknowns and that's what makes buying a used car or even a newish car so exciting.

One thing I'd be thinking ... how's the clutch? That's a fair amount of work/cost to replace so I'd want to make sure it's got lots of life left before buying.

If he really is doing the timing belt make sure the idlers get done too and maybe the water pump etc.

If you're counting on that 12 month warranty check his reputation with other people who've had to get warranty work done by him. That car is too old/too many miles to qualify for any NY implied warranty so it will be his word for anything it needs. And what does he cover, labor only, or parts and labor. Can you use your own parts, mostly just a question because else a person can mark up the parts a little extra to help cover the labor.

his warranty is parts and labor, plus lifetime labor discount after warranty.. I'm sure I could provide higher quality parts if I wanted. He sells a lot of cars, does not sell cars with rust, and always has a rolling inventory. The clutch feels great.. He told me to take it on the worst road in town and make sure it was good for me.

hr does the idlers and WP. I asked and he agreed thet needed to B done on all.. He also gives a free oil change at 3k miles and a checkup and repair if needed.. All cars also have a 4 wheel alignment done at time of sale

Edited by matt167

I have only heard one bad report on him, and it was due to a poorly installed bad credit immobilizer that caused a no start condition from time to time. As I recall the owner would never give him time to diagnose the car. Her credit required the immobilizer

the only thing i dont like about this car is the stereo. It was replaced with a single din pioneer. It has aux input but i don't think it has Bluetooth.. Will the stereo from a 1999 Legacy Outback work in it? I have one on the shelf. Its the premium stereo that's double din. I know that the storage shelf below the radio has to get removed, but they came with double dins as an option.

Ok, so this is a nice dealer and all, but I just can't spend $6,600 on this car ( albit that is OTD price with tax, registered, inspected and warrantied ). It's a nice car but in 50k miles it takes another 20% dip in value and on a financed vehicle that's already quite old, it's not in the cards for me.

SO, I searched Craigslist and found an 01 with a little over 200k miles for a little under $2k so I can own it free and clear. and it's nice and clean. T belt was done at 160k miles probably with the HG guarentee. Have not got it yet, but im first in line and see it tomorrow. if it runs good and the clutch is ok, I'll take a chance on it. I have a 1999 EJ25D that I could short block it with if it chucked a rod or spun a bearing I could swap out in no big deal ( I know heads, intake and sensors to match car )