Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

So the ABS light recently came on in my '99 OBW. I placed the ground pin into the diagnostic connector in order to get the DTCs and ended up with codes 56, 42, and 11 (The start code on the sequence)

I understand code 56 to be for an 'abnormal G sensor output voltage' and code 42 to be 'source voltage is abnormal.'

My question is, what's the best way to verify these codes? The car has around 175k miles so I wouldn't be surprised if a sensor went bad, but I'd like to check in order to make sure before ordering any parts. Is there a test I can do with a multimeter on the G sensor? If so, what is the location if the G sensor in my car? Also- is code 42 related to the G sensor as well, or is that a separate problem?

Thanks!

Source voltage is the supply voltage to the control unit. A poor ground for the unit could set both of those codes. The unit is mounted in the center of the floor pan under the dash. There are ground points on both sides of the center console at the base of the dash. Make sure those are clean and tight.

The G sensor is mounted under the center console and can be damaged if anyone has ever spilled a soda or coffee on the console. The unit is sealed, but liquid can still get in the wire connector and cause a poor connection.

Edited by Fairtax4me