Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter Question.95 Legacy LS

All,   I replaced the selenoid contacts in my starter about a month ago,  one of the easiest jobs I have done on the car since I have had it.  Now a month later every so often it is acting up again.  Just like before but when I tap the starter up near the bell housing it seems to fix the problem for about 2 weeks of starts.   I hate to go get a new starter if there is something I missed when I did the contacts,   any suggestions? 

Thanks,   Mark

Capitol still has a small U pull, not very much at all.  I can try Harry's in Allentown one weekend, they should have it. 

I took the old contacts and plunger out and replaced them with a new kit from Amazon,  did a quick clean of the rest of the starter.  Could be I did not clean or lube enough.  The old contacts and plunger were worn pretty good. 

The starter does click  and then with the help of someone I can give it light tap on the starter itself and the car starts right up.

Edited by foxgap

Just put a reman in and be done with it. With winter coming, the last thing you'll want to be dealing with is a no-start starter at -5 degrees. For all you know, that "Amazon" kit was a Chinese knock-off made with junk parts, or the actual solenoid had something else wrong which you didn't fix, but having messed with it made it work just a tad longer. Also, be sure to rule out everything is TIGHT and aligned correctly, along with solid grounds. People often overlook the importance of ground cables until they are all corroded and physically in half.

• Like 1

I put in reman starter from advanced auto in 3 or 4 old subarus [i've lost count], and I haven't had any problem with them.  The longest I have had one installed in a currently owned car is about 4 years.

I have had similar good luck with reman starters from Advance Auto. If you buy on line, there are Advance coupon codes available to reduce cost considerably. Simply pay on line, then stop by the store for pick up. Hope they have a store nearby for you.

More than likely the brushes on the starter armature are worn or stuck and not making contact until you give them that little bump. Brushes aren't quite as easy to change as the solenoid contacts, but you may be able to pop them out and clean the holes they sit in and get some more life out of it.

Got a rebuilt Denso tonight. Out and back in in about 1/2 hour.  Starts just fine now.  I took the core back and had the guy at the parts store check the battery just to make sure everything is up to specs, NOPE, battery is marginal....  Back for a battery in the morning.   Will it never end???????

If you plan on keeping the car for 4-5+ years, splurge and get the better battery with a 5 year warranty. Batteries have gotten expensive due to lead prices going up, so a 1 year warranty and 2 years later a new battery means you'l be over $200. It might seem pricey going with a Gold (or whatever) but it's worth it in the warranty when you can walk in with a dead 2-4 year old battery and get a brand new replacement.

Made the fortunate choice of getting a 5 year warranty battery for the Subaru, then Saab battery died so put it in there, and snagged another cheaper one for the Subaru. That 5 year battery croaked so bad it wouldn't even charge a couple months ago. Took it back w/o receipt and they said they couldn't "find" it in the system. After 15 minutes and a couple attempts, it finally appeared and a new battery was handed over. Saved a ton of money with that warranty, and these auto part store batteries don't seem to go longer than 2-3 winters anymore.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of Walmart batteries. I have bought their top of the line with a 3 year warranty for both of my OBWs. Both are going strong, one with 5 years of service, the other with 4 years of service. It still shocks me to see that the price of batteries has gone up about 35% in the last 4 years. Yea, the price of lead has gone up big time, but is there really a lead shortage to justify the big price jump? What gives??

@ Rooster I guess it's mainly demand and ease of acquiring. Lead is in everything from batteries to wheel weights to fishing gear to bullets, and with people hoarding ammo the past several years (I know average, middle-aged guys stupidly buying and hoarding tens of thousands of rounds of ammo in every caliber they own [each] thinking either the President will take it away or that they'll be involved in some delusional government take over 0_o and suppose they think they'll be on the front lines of an imaginary urban civil war II, so they are actually inadvertently creating a huge demand and ironically making the ammo harder for the next guy to purchase it and ammo companies in some cases are so back logged with orders you can't even find some calibers. .22 rounds were extremely difficult to find for years because of that for example. Anyways, It melts VERY easily (seriously easy, can melt it in a cooking pan over the stove and pour in a homemade mold if you wanted- if it wasn't so toxic) and since it doesn't rust or really degrade over time, it'd make sense to buy it as scrap and melt it down into something new vs. mining and refining it. Plus with mining you have to pay the miners, deal with environmental impact, process and transport, etc. 

No lead shortage in the world but the last refining plant in the USA closed so now we must depend on third world country's to supply it. We all know how well those products are produced and inspected. :rolleyes: 

As for the Ammo and political situation on guns and ammo I will not get in to it in a public thread Bushwick but if you would like a good conversation in private messages I would gladly debate your statements. :grin:

No lead shortage in the world but the last refining plant in the USA closed so now we must depend on third world country's to supply it. We all know how well those products are produced and inspected. :rolleyes:

As for the Ammo and political situation on guns and ammo I will not get in to it in a public thread Bushwick but if you would like a good conversation in private messages I would gladly debate your statements. :grin:

I'll pass. My own dad was one of the people being mentioned, so.....